A Leak Inside the Wall

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjohn

Reaction score
I have a slow (many minutes between) drip from the hot water supply line to my tub/shower faucet. It appears to be a “shark bite” type connection, but not certain. The wall the pipes are in is backed by a full vanity with cabinets below (pictures attached). So it seems the best way to access the leak is to remove some tiles; certainly don’t want to pull out the whole vanity/cabinets. But can a “shark bite” connection be tightened up or would the whole joint need to be replaced? Or is there some sort of epoxy compound or something that could be used to fix it? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20200705_125728.jpg
    IMG_20200705_125728.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20200705_125518.jpg
    IMG_20200705_125518.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20200705_125537.jpg
    IMG_20200705_125537.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 13
I have a slow (many minutes between) drip from the hot water supply line to my tub/shower faucet. It appears to be a “shark bite” type connection, but not certain. The wall the pipes are in is backed by a full vanity with cabinets below (pictures attached). So it seems the best way to access the leak is to remove some tiles; certainly don’t want to pull out the whole vanity/cabinets. But can a “shark bite” connection be tightened up or would the whole joint need to be replaced? Or is there some sort of epoxy compound or something that could be used to fix it? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Is the shower valve higher than the vanity top, is that wall tile or painted sheet rock

Is the shower valve higher than the vanity top, is that wall tile or painted sheet rock
The top of the leaking joint seems to be just about level with the top surface of the vanity. The wall on that side is sheet rock.

There is only the slightest chance that you could rotate that Sharkbite fitting and it would stop the drip.
There is a chance that it was not inserted fully. The truly best way we plumbers know that is to make a Sharpie mark on the pipe so we can see that it is inserted to the spec'd depth. (There is a tool we use to make that depth mark).
You have no Sharpie mark so who knows unless you try to push in deeper.

It seems no plumbers are on this forum anymore. By yourself a wirecamera, you can by them in different lenghts. Do you hear any pipe claging?I would suspenc once of your solder joints before anything!

Oh, there are lots of professional plumbers on this forum. Problem is, many are exhausted and only come in when they can. The OP has already mentioned the pipe is leaking from a Sharkbite fitting, but it never hurts to do a thorough inspection of the area to confirm the leak originated from that fitting, or is dripping down onto the pipe.
As said before, drywall cutting is a cheap and effective way to do an inspection and repair if needed.

Latest posts

Back