A different Potable Water Recirculation Approach

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diehard

In Remembrance
Reaction score
I just saw this comment from an owner of a small house.
"Our plumber ran a long copper line out to the farthest point, and pitched it slightly down to return to the hot water heater. It works by convection, and we get hot water very quickly, and don't need a pump and the electricity to run it. Works great."

COMMENTS?

I just saw this comment from an owner of a small house.
"Our plumber ran a long copper line out to the farthest point, and pitched it slightly down to return to the hot water heater. It works by convection, and we get hot water very quickly, and don't need a pump and the electricity to run it. Works great."
I've heard of such things, but never found a good explanation of how they work (although I can guess) or why they might be better than an on-demand pump. Also sounds like it might "run" all the time, so not very economical.

I've heard of such things, but never found a good explanation of how they work (although I can guess) or why they might be better than an on-demand pump. Also sounds like it might "run" all the time, so not very economical.
Hot water rises while cold water drops. Natural convection.

That's a good point relative to it not being economical from a heat loss standpoint since it would be constantly circulating the water and having it cooling itself all the time. Also know as standby losses on water heaters.

Back