$520 to replace (soldered) water supply lines to hot water heater?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeptical_homeowner

Reaction score
I have a pinhole leak in the cold water supply line to my hot water heater. Not my area of expertise. Apparently it's soldered to the wall connection. Quote from plumber to replace both the cold water supply line as well as the hot water out line, and doing so with the standard threaded connection is $520. Is that a fair price?

See attached photo of current setup.

20220127_150405.jpg

The unit is 10+ years old--might it be better for me to just replace the whole thing (same plumber quoted $2,130 for install of Bradford White 50 gallon).

Thanks. In the process of getting more quotes. In the meantime , got a ballpark estimate from another plumber over the phone: $285 - $325.

I'm not a certified plumber, but your vent pipe seems improper and appears to be a single wall vent. I hope a professional will chime in on this.

I'm not a certified plumber, but your vent pipe seems improper and appears to be a single wall vent. I hope a professional will chime in on this.
That’s a vent connector not a vent. A vent connector can be single wall with 6” clearance to combustibles.

I think I’d get a couple more estimates.

Offer to send pictures of the work area and give a description of the working conditions. Like how to turn main water off, where to park, how easy is access to the point of install, do you want the old unit hauled off.

Things like that.

For example I had a guy call and wanted a price on replacing a 50 gal gas in the 3rd floor attic. The price dropped when he told me he has an elevator to opens up 5’ from the water heater. And you park 20’ from the elevator door.

I’m not a plumber but... Cut the pipe before the flex tube and use a compression fitting and a new flex tube or get a ‘shark bite’ flex tube to the heater. Price of parts only...

Latest posts

Back