4 PIECE SHOWER SYSTEM

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHEPLMBR

She-Plmbr River Rat
Professional
Sponsor
Reaction score
Question. I have had discussions with several plumbers that come into my shop. I would like to reach out here to get an answer. When installing a 4 piece shower unit (1 base, 3 wall units) do you caulk the seam from the back wall to the end walls?

no one? The reason I am asking is that my other half is installing one for his brother's gf. Of course his bro knows everything because it is on youtube.

I installed a sterling a while ago I used caulking made it slide into the grooves with less friction
I did also put a small bead of caulking on the flat surfaces
At work the carpenters caulk all connecting surfaces

It depends on the surround and the instructions. Some are caulk-free so you only caulk around the flange and maybe about an inch and a half at the front edges. Others require caulking at all of the seams.

It would help to know what brand & model unit is being installed & read the instructions.

Install a brand that the side's snap into the base and there is no need to caulk anything.
That's what I thought. My ole man installed a beautiful top line one that I sell here. It has a pin system. His brother kept insisting that he caulk the back walls to the side walls that overlap and are "seamless". I just wanted to get other people's opinion.

Always defer to the manufacturer's installation instructions. Some of those snap together units have no caulking between panels because they have channels to direct water flow to the tub/shower base. Using caulk on some of them can actually impede the ability to drain out moisture.

I'm curious as to what model this was bc it sounds like a nice one. I'm going to be installing a couple Sterling units (Performa & I forget what the other one is-- I think Ensemble) in my home.

If the instructions say no caulk then that's what it means. Caulking it anyway could be causing more harm than good.

Zanne had a point that if you get caulk in a channel that lets the water drain into the base then there could
be a problem. But if you had no problems that great.

Back