4 Handle Shower/tub valve 1950s

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dpetras

Reaction score
Good afternoon - I am in the planning stage of a bathroom update/remodel and am wondering if anyone has ever come across this type of shower valve setup. I currently have 4 handles the top two control the hot water (left handle) and cold water (right handle) and the bottle two handles control the bathtub right handle (hot water) left handle (cold water). I have access to the back of the shower via a closet and it looks like both valves are connected but I can’t seem to find anything on the internet that looks like this. Was this a custom job or just very unique and or old way of plumbing. We are trying to find replacement hardware which either come in sets of 2 (stems and hardware etc) or a set of 3 which would be the common hot, cold and middle for shower/tub control.
Would anyone know the name of this type of valve install?

That’s the way it was done in fine homes back in the day. Phylrich made or makes some tub valves that had 1/2” ips tapping so you could custom make your tub valve spread.,

A lot of those valves are 10” and more on center compared to modern 8” spread tub valves.

“ standard “ faucet company made some.

@bawalter would be more knowledgeable about this than I would. I’m just a plumber, but he actually manufacturers some of these old stems.

I’ve worked on them quite a bit but they’re becoming fewer and farther between. I worked on quite a few in the late 80’s.

On some the center handle operated the tub waste. It was a linkage behind the wall connected to a big tube with the plunger in it. It’s been 30 yrs since I’ve seen one in person. Going by memory.

Found a pic of what I was describing.
1F4D3340-6752-412D-8B90-610C070BB0E7.jpeg
The tub spout was mounted below the flood level rim of the fixture. We had an inspector on a remodel wanted us to pipe in backflow preventer. My dad told him “ you’re an idiot, no I don’t think so “ and he left 🤣.

Last edited:
To the OP.

Get a tape measure and measure the distance between center of the hot handle to the center of the cold handle.

Post that number for us as well.,

Last edited:
here is the handles. As you can see the previous owners didn’t have the best control of the caulk gun o_O

Attachments

• 7FB99E6B-B368-45E2-95CF-6E8BBBBF9E3C.jpeg
    7FB99E6B-B368-45E2-95CF-6E8BBBBF9E3C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
If tear every bit of that out including the tile. Especially the tile.

Measure between the hot and cold handles. What’s that measurement in inches. Looks like 6” to me.

The tiles are loose and that’s why there is 5 tubes of caulk on there but the plan is to rip the tile out and replace it. I’m assuming it would be beneficial to replace the valves to a standard 3 handle setup.

the question I originally had was if anyone has ever seen this type of install. Like I previously mentioned both shower and tub valves are joined together.

The tiles are loose and that’s why there is 5 tubes of caulk on there but the plan is to rip the tile out and replace it. I’m assuming it would be beneficial to replace the valves to a standard 3 handle setup.

the question I originally had was if anyone has ever seen this type of install. Like I previously mentioned both shower and tub valves are joined together.
Yes I have many times. But if you’re replacing it, it doesn’t matter. Just tear it all out and install your new valve.

Thanks here is a picture of the valves

Attachments

• 7E63362D-9028-4702-BDB3-6C8FFF7D90E1.jpeg
    7E63362D-9028-4702-BDB3-6C8FFF7D90E1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
If your going to tear out the tile you could put in a single handle posi-temp faucet instead of a two handle
faucet that looks like its 6" spread. Both of those faucets will have to come out.

Looks like American Standard to me based on the handles and escutcheons but those aren't original so it could be something else like Crane. I have seen some old Pre War Crane stuff that was set up like that but those handles can't be that.

Back