3 Toilets that seem to be Losing Water Level in the Toilet Bowl

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieBrockAlpha

Reaction score
Hi , i have a house that has 3 Toilets, each of the Toilets seem to have the same issue, the water level seems to be going down in the toilet bowl

When i got this place inspected - they said the outside line had a bad spot, so i dug it up and inspected it, it seemed to have been repaired already?

my question is if theres some problem with the outside line ? would that cause my Toilets to slowly leek?
let me know whats going on - im confused thanks

On refilling, there is a trap inside the bowl and bowls will always drain to that factory level. They should not drain past that normal level unless there is some suction on the line and no proper plumbing vent at each toilet to relieve suction pressure.

The line is probably filling up, closing off the vents and siphoning the bowl water as it gradually drains.

Call a drain cleaner.

Sounds like inadequate venting, you could check the vents, maybe install an air admittance valve. If the toilets all flush fine you probably don't need a drain cleaner. If you have roof vents, take a water hose up there and see if you can run a full stream down the vent for a few minutes, that should confirm they're open.

Are all the toilets the same model?
Are they newer toilets?
Are the toilets on the same level in the house?
When you say, "the water level slowly drops", how slow is "slowly"?
Does the level drop slowly right after a flush or after several minutes?
Is the final water level the same in each toilet?

Some newer toilets have what I think is a too small water level. If the final water level is the same in each toilet, and if the water level drops right after a flush, it simply could be the toilet design level. If your refill line is providing a lot of water after a flush, it could be adding water to the bowl almost as fast as the water is overflowing into the sewer. That would make the level in the toilet drop slower.

If the toilets are all the same model, and the final level is the same, I wouldn't think something like a clogged sewer, or a clogged vent would produce the exact same results in three toilets. There are too many variables for three toilets to act exactly the same. However, strange things do happen, but unlikely here IMHO.

Is it windy where you live? The water levels in my upstairs toilets always drop a quarter of an inch or so when the wind gusts over 30 mph. Just the way things work...

Back