3/8" OD compression fitting on 3/8" plastic tubing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it won’t work. Ones bigger.

Are you ok ?
I just used a metal nail file and reduced the tubing OD just enough to push the ring on it sprayed wd-40. The nut was ok. Then used a straight ratchet to push the ring farther (I have no more thumbs and hands struggled like crazy) allowing the tube to go down inside the ratchet. Wasn't far enough to where it should go but it worked. Not leaking. I never sweated so much on any plumbing repair.

Thanks

mcmaster.com has a lot of tubing fittings, maybe they'd have something that'd work. I know it's from the US, but it could be metric...

I just used a metal nail file and reduced the tubing OD just enough to push the ring on it sprayed wd-40. The nut was ok. Then used a straight ratchet to push the ring farther (I have no more thumbs and hands struggled like crazy) allowing the tube to go down inside the ratchet. Wasn't far enough to where it should go but it worked. Not leaking. I never sweated so much on any plumbing repair.
All kinds of mix matched items can be made to work. It’s not proper……

What isn't proper about a compression fitting on a tubing with it's own coupler to screw on to another part?
If you had to file it to fit then the parts are not made within fit tolerances.

Pipe is made to specific O.D’s for specific type fittings.

So while you can make things work, it’s not made to work with each other. That’s why you had to modify it.

Compatible fittings don’t require the Outside diameter to be filed down.

Just because you can cobble together fittings that do not immediately leak, doesn’t make it proper or normal practice.

I can’t explain it any better than that.

Last edited:
If you had to file it to fit then the parts are not made within fit tolerances.

Pipe is made to specific O.D’s for specific type fittings.

So while you can make things work, it’s not made to work with each other. That’s why you had to modify it.

Compatible fittings don’t require the Outside diameter to be filed down.

Just because you can cobble together fittings that do not immediately leak, doesn’t make it proper or normal practice.

I can’t explain it any better than that.
I know. But the fitting is so tight on it there is no way it's going to leak in the future.

There aren't any fittings that are 3/8" and a hair or between 10 and 11mm. That's what happens when a company provides a fitting with their product that isn't sold anywhere and the company doesn't exist anymore and make a tube that is not standard size.

Latest posts

Back