3.6 millibars gas pressure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1mmcw

Reaction score
Hello - we recently had a Worcester Bosch engineer round to fit a new PRV. He checked the working gas pressure and found the pressure to be 3.6 millibars at the gas inlet. It's 20 millibars at the meter. We've had this confirmed by another engineer.

We had an extension built 4 years ago and a new Worcester Bosch Greenstar boiler installed. The meter is at the front of the house which wasn't touched during the extension. I presume that from here the gas run goes under the floorboards (easily removable) and into the new extension which has a Polypipe UFH system and tiles (not very removable) and then into the boiler. Total distance is approx 8-10 meters.

Without going into great detail our builders were pretty terrible and we've had a number of issues. My guess is that during the build some debris has fallen into the newly installed gas run somewhere along the line rather than it being undersized pipes. Alternatively some corrosion has occurred in the old pipes resulting in a blockage.

Before I begin tearing up the floor to find out what's going on is there anything I could do to explore in more detail? I was thinking of some sort of optical fibre camera down the gas run but I really have no idea. If the blockage or undersized pipe is in the old part of the house then that's a lot easier to solve than it being the in the new part.

Thank you for any advice!

James

A plumber can disconnect all the appliances or shut the valves (depending on type of valve quality), then "blow out" the line by attaching a pressurized source of air (we carry CO2 tank for that, sometimes a big air compressor).
You would want to blow towards the largest pipe, or even isolate sections and check each section.
So sorry you have to be dealing with such a mess.

Thank you breplum for your advice. I'll look in our local area for a plumber that offers this service, seems like a very logical idea!

Back