250 ft. Deep Well Supply String Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butch

Reaction score
Hi. Thanks in advance for any advice here.

1) I'm replacing supply pipe with new 200 psi roll pipe. Power wire is 12/3 and should be replaced but have to wait for now. Mostly good, with several splices. Some places showing abrasive wear from torque jerks.

1) I'm using liquid electric tape covered by electric tape to buffer any potential problem spots. This ok for drinking water well?

2) How many torque arrestors should I put on a line that deep?

I already have two, both right above the 1 hp Franklin/Schaefer pump.

3); Have used those little plastic overpriced disks elsewhere in the line. I hate those things. Seem pretty worthless to me.

Any better way to stop wire string from being gradually degraded by torquing ?

Thanks!

Chaffing the wire is just one of many problems caused by cycling the pump on/off too much. Don't just put on a Bandaid. Use a Cycle Stop Valve to get to the source of the problem. Even with a small pressure tank a CSV can reduce the number of on/off cycles tremendously, which solves the wire chaffing problems and many others. Torque arrestors and stand-offs are just something to help get your pump stuck in the well the next time you try to pull it. Use some good double jacketed wire called THHN/THWN or underground direct burial cable. It is round, like and extension cord, and has a tough outer jacket. Then use regular electric tape every 10'-20' and don't pull the wire too tight. No extra slack though either.

Back