$2000 for shower/tub valve and trim kit?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moen makes a square shower trim which you might want to look at if changing valves. I had to get one (Moen Hensley) as replacement for one of my showers because the builder cut the hole funny.

Yes, there are screwdriver stops on the valve. The one on the left is blocked by a piece of metal. Since another plumber is scheduled for Friday, didn't try to turn on water supply and test the valve. I will definitely ask the plumber to test the valve, and test the screwdriver stops. I will report back when I know more. Thanks all - the feedback is much appreciated!

Attachments

• 4830A611-81A8-4BF2-A530-8022368B2CD6.jpeg
    4830A611-81A8-4BF2-A530-8022368B2CD6.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Yes, there are screwdriver stops on the valve. The one on the left is blocked by a piece of metal. Since another plumber is scheduled for Friday, didn't try to turn on water supply and test the valve. I will definitely ask the plumber to test the valve, and test the screwdriver stops. I will report back when I know more. Thanks all - the feedback is much appreciated!

Send the new plumber pictures, or ask if they’d like to see the pictures.

There are two parts to the cartridge. Make sure they change all the parts.....

Kohler may have changed the cartridge, verify all the parts are compatible and are assembled correctly.

Is this the Kohler K-304 Pressure Balancing Valve that @breplum had mentioned?

If so, and if it truly is leaking, does it make sense to replace it with another Kohler valve, or does it not matter at that point?

Is this the Kohler K-304 Pressure Balancing Valve that @breplum had mentioned?

If so, and if it truly is leaking, does it make sense to replace it with another Kohler valve, or does it not matter at that point?

Looks like a k304 to me. Make sure the plumber brings the entire cartridge assembly and makes sure the directions are followed.

I wouldn’t install a kohler, I’d use delta if I did a new valve.

Hired a new master plumber who has his own small company, rather than a large company with several trucks. He tested the old Kohler valve and stated that it was leaking and the screw stops did not work (hard water in the area). Nonetheless, he replaced the valve and installed a beautiful Delta trim kit for just under $1000. Job took a little longer than he expected (~3.5 hours) because he had to cut through that relatively thick sheet metal to access the valve.

C7521CB8-1D79-4F16-B9D4-5AF5B8D5E211.jpeg

D298C53C-7471-4C24-BFF8-AB4F5408393E.jpeg

72031D3E-8E18-4061-BFD3-00BC4DB43D4A.jpeg

It is not reasonable to have him no-charge isolating that valve, there should be screwdriver stops on the valve. If not there, that is original builder stupidity.

So is not making access available on the backside of that wall. What's there? A closet? Another room? SOMETHING has to be on the other side, and unless it's another tiled wall it's probably easier to work from there.

I see all kinds of thoughtless work that doesn't rear it's ugly head UNTIL there is a problem, like this. This is a bit of work and the prices, high as they may seem, are in line with today's world.

So is not making access available on the backside of that wall. What's there? A closet? Another room? SOMETHING has to be on the other side, and unless it's another tiled wall it's probably easier to work from there.

The job is done now, but, Yes... There is another tiled shower on the opposite side of the wall in the photo.

I don’t have a problem with caulk if it’s applied correctly. Usually it’s not.....more doesn’t mean better necessarily

Big price difference between the two companies. Saved a thousand, good job.

Latest posts

Back