2 inch toilet drain pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luigimario

Reaction score
Greetings all

I am having chronic issues with the toilet clogging. I thought it was my son's paper usage. But we got his paper under control and the problem persists. The toilet is clogged after he flushes his waste, before he adds any paper.

The landlord told us that the toilet has a 2 inch drain pipe. I did a search and found that to be smaller than standard.

Is it weird that the drain pipe is so small?

Hi,

3" is the minimum and 4" is standard. I find it hard to believe that there is a 2" toilet drain valve. How is the quality of the flush? Could the issue be with the volume of water per flush?

-Paul

When it's working properly the bowl fills up and flushes very effectively. After the little guy uses it, the toilet will fill up to the top and then drain veerrry slowly. Often the clog is past where I can see it.

How old is the toilet, check under the tank lid for a date. Try flushing with a 5 gallon bucket of water. If it goes down find then I would say the jets are getting clogged and not allowing the proper amount of water into the bowl

I think your landlord was saying it is a low flow toilet with a 2” flush valve, not that the house has 2” waste pipes.

If the actual toilet drain pipe is two inches, which is unlikely, it could mean that a toilet was installed on a drain line meant for a shower or a sink.

If that is the case, you are doomed to clog forever.

In the case the pipe is really 2", a solution might be to install a macerator toilet.

Your landlord might have meant that your toilet has a two inch trap way, the size of its internal china drain.

If the drain in the floor is three or four inch, which is normal, you could try installing a new toilet with a three inch trap way, which usually flushes very well and clogs less.

But there are also plenty of good flushing toilets with a two inch trap way, yours just might be a lousy flusher.

You don’t mention your son’s age, but maybe he just dumps massive loads, please update with more overall info.

Also, try flushing the poop, then wipe up and flush again.
After a major dump, even a third flush is helpful to move things down the line.

Back