2 buildings on same septic?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Clarke

Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing an old farm property. uses would be part-time residence, part-time airb&b, part-time wedding venue. there's a barn and 4,000ish sq' house. barn would have mens/ women's bathrooms containing one urinal & 3 stalls and dual sinks in both. maybe additional plumbing for the bar.

house will have 2 full baths 2nd fl, 1-2 half baths 1st fl, 1 full bath basement. plus a larger than usual kitchen for larger groups.

barn is 150ish' from house and a few feet lower.

so here's the question. ...........
what's the chances of having both on the same system? 150' is a long way to go to reach the tank. could i do one tank(say 3k gals) and one leach field or two tanks and one field? i REALLY don't want two separate systems! keep in mind both buildings won't be heavily used at the same time.

The drain field capacity will probably the limiting factor.

We have several sites on the forest where multiple buildings share a septic system. But the tank, and leach fields were sized for it.

Depends on your local regulatory authority, if they'll allow it. Also depends on the site layout and terrain, if it's physically possible to arrange them both on the same system. You'd have to ask a septic installer / designer for options. I have seen seen similar setups, though, with a house and a shop on the same system. Sometimes they both drain into the same tank. Sometimes the shop will have it's own tank and maybe a grinder pump and then goes into the tank used by the house.

Back