1st Shower Faucet Replacement - Need Advice

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murphybp2

Reaction score
Hello. I'm doing my first shower faucet replacement and looking for some advice. I thought I could just buy any faucet but turns out that's not the case. I saw where I needed to identify the valve type, so that's what I've been trying to do. After removing the old faucet, a Sterling, I'm not sure what I'm looking at. I think this is the cartridge, but I don't understand how that relates to the valve type, or how to figure out what faucets I can buy. So I have a couple of quesitons.

1. The old faucet was a Sterling, which looks like is part of Kohler. So does that mean I'm limited to only using their faucets as replacements with this current setup? I don't want to replace the whole valve or do any soldering, etc.
2. If I wanted to use a different brand of faucet, is there a way to do it without replacing the valve?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1694.jpeg
    IMG_1694.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 14
You’ll be limited to Sterling trim that fits that rough valve in the wall. Nothing is interchangeable between brands typically.

That answers both your questions.

Well, that's a bummer. So if I did want to switch to a different brand then I'd have to replace the whole valve then? There aren't any type of conversion kits?

Well, that's a bummer. So if I did want to switch to a different brand then I'd have to replace the whole valve then? There aren't any type of conversion kits?
No conversion kits

Yes a whole new valve in the wall

Why don't you just get new trim, and rebuild the valve,( if Kohler still has the parts, I saw#s that would help if you needed a specific model Kohler is a great brand

Thanks @Geofd for the input. My goal is to replace all the exterior pieces, which I guess is what you mean by the trim. I'm not sure what rebuilding the valve would take or if it's necessary. Again, this is my first time replacing a shower faucet so still learning what's needed and even the terminology. One of the problems is I can't find any information on the part numbers listed on the old faucet. I emailed Sterling/Kohler and they didn't recognize the numbers either. I'm hoping they can give some advice based on the pictures.

I would send pics of what you showed us/reassemble with trim on and send it to Kohler, also bring pics to a plumbing supply house, not home Depot or Lowes, talk to someone in (Kohler)tech services
I would just get rebuild parts just to have, even if there is nothing wrong .....

I sent these two additional pictures to Kohler's customer service and am waiting for a response. Thanks for the idea about a plumbing supply store. Hadn't considered that.

Attachments

• IMG_1698.jpeg
    IMG_1698.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1696.jpeg
    IMG_1696.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
Finally heard back from Kohler. They have a replacement valve I could buy but said they don't carry any trim that fits this anymore. Found a local plumbing store that carries the exact same trim that I already have. So sounds like if I want a different style I'm going to have to call a plumber to replace the valve. Thanks for everyone's help.

Back