1st Shower Faucet Replacement - Need Advice

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

Murphybp2

Reaction score
Hello. I'm doing my first shower faucet replacement and looking for some advice. I thought I could just buy any faucet but turns out that's not the case. I saw where I needed to identify the valve type, so that's what I've been trying to do. After removing the old faucet, a Sterling, I'm not sure what I'm looking at. I think this is the cartridge, but I don't understand how that relates to the valve type, or how to figure out what faucets I can buy. So I have a couple of quesitons.

1. The old faucet was a Sterling, which looks like is part of Kohler. So does that mean I'm limited to only using their faucets as replacements with this current setup? I don't want to replace the whole valve or do any soldering, etc.
2. If I wanted to use a different brand of faucet, is there a way to do it without replacing the valve?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

Twowaxhack

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
You’ll be limited to Sterling trim that fits that rough valve in the wall. Nothing is interchangeable between brands typically.

That answers both your questions.

Murphybp2

Reaction score
Well, that's a bummer. So if I did want to switch to a different brand then I'd have to replace the whole valve then? There aren't any type of conversion kits?

Geofd

Staff member
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why don't you just get new trim, and rebuild the valve,( if Kohler still has the parts, I saw#s that would help if you needed a specific model Kohler is a great brand

Murphybp2

Reaction score
Thanks @Geofd for the input. My goal is to replace all the exterior pieces, which I guess is what you mean by the trim. I'm not sure what rebuilding the valve would take or if it's necessary. Again, this is my first time replacing a shower faucet so still learning what's needed and even the terminology. One of the problems is I can't find any information on the part numbers listed on the old faucet. I emailed Sterling/Kohler and they didn't recognize the numbers either. I'm hoping they can give some advice based on the pictures.

Geofd

Staff member
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would send pics of what you showed us/reassemble with trim on and send it to Kohler, also bring pics to a plumbing supply house, not home Depot or Lowes, talk to someone in (Kohler)tech services
I would just get rebuild parts just to have, even if there is nothing wrong .....

Murphybp2

Reaction score
I sent these two additional pictures to Kohler's customer service and am waiting for a response. Thanks for the idea about a plumbing supply store. Hadn't considered that.

Attachments

Murphybp2

Reaction score
Finally heard back from Kohler. They have a replacement valve I could buy but said they don't carry any trim that fits this anymore. Found a local plumbing store that carries the exact same trim that I already have. So sounds like if I want a different style I'm going to have to call a plumber to replace the valve. Thanks for everyone's help.