1990's Digital Shower control finally died... what are the options?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamieRI

Reaction score
This 1990's era American Standard shower controller finally died after being intermittent for some time. I can't seem to find a replacement or compatible upgrade on the internet. It runs a remote motorized valve via PWM servo signals, so I might be out of luck.

Questions:
  • Anyone know of a compatible replacement that has the same connections?
  • Anyone know what the motorized valve looks like, and if the whole thing needs replacement (by a plumber), are there same-fit modern products?
thanks Jamie

1624304428354.png
1624305318309.png

Is there a reason your haven't called American standard and asked them to sell you whatever replacement they have to fit this?

I will be calling them in the morning. It has no model number or markings inside or on the back, and was just wondering if anyone out there had run into this thing.

That yellow writing sure looks like a model number to me....🤷🏻‍♂️

It's an UltraValve, a pretty awesome product that I now have a lot of experience fixing!

1626661256845.png1626661308290.png
  • The control board PCBAs were improperly soldered during manufacture (leads were not wetted). I used a wire brush to remove the silicon conformal coating and then re-soldered several sketchy solder joints. I took microscope images here Google Photo Album
  • The o-rings in the ceramic mixing valve seats were compressed, and the same size o-ring in the shaft seal was shot, causing a long standing leak that corroded the collar that connected the valve actuator to the valve. My photo album includes photos of the valve assembly before and after and partly disassembled.
1990s era Failed Digital Shower Temp controller (PCBA has bad solder joints with conformal coating)

I was able to reach the original producer of the valve who provided a lot of coaching on what to do and how to re-calibrate the valve.

1626661256845.png1626661308290.png

Attachments

• 2353 & 2356 UltraValve Electronic B-S RP.pdf
    174.9 KB · Views: 5
  • UltraValve2.pdf
    112.5 KB · Views: 3
Back