1980's Moen 1200 shower cartridge extraction issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Astralan

Reaction score
Have an old pull to open, twist to control shower regulator that most people can't pull.
I decided to do some research and from my findings it ends up being a Moen 1200 cartridge.
Following some youtubes and purchasing extraction tools for this model, I was pissed to find that in the attempt to "twist" the cartridge loose, it sheered off the casing tabs and pulled the stem out.
Currently, I shoved it back in and have it in place using the little horseshoe type clip, but there is nothing else.

So, browsing the posts, someone mentioned a little pricy tool: LASCO 13-2122. I can't find enough information or directions about the tool or if it will fix my problem. Seeing I've invested in both the 1225 (before I found out what was in there) and the 1200 plus the extraction tool, I'd like to see it through. I called one plumber who just gave me grief, hundreds of cartridges, wouldn't use what I got, made it a point to tell me I may need a whole new regulator and of course the beginning estimate of repairs. I see his point but it was an elaborate way to blow me off.

Can any of you experts tell me how to get the cartridge out?
One person mentioned that you can interchange the 1200 with the 1225. Is this true?

Thanks in advance. -Brian

Attachments

• IMG_20191013_131509.jpg
    IMG_20191013_131509.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20191013_131530.jpg
    IMG_20191013_131530.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 11
The 1200 is all brass, 1225 is plastic, either one will fit into your old valve.

You can also find videos on Youtube about how to extract the rest of the cartridge when just the stem comes out, not the whole cartridge like it should.

I recall seeing some that involve buying a threaded bolt just a smidge thicker than the shaft of the stem that pulled out, and then screwing that bolt into the cartridge shell to grab it so you can twist it out, or extract it with a puller tool.

I believe that Lasco tool might also have that function, but the last link I saw on here said discontinued.
It is pbly still for sale somewhere.

Yup, found it. For those that need it:
I found you actually had enough room to get the cartridge loose running the washer up to the top of the valve, then yanking it out the rest of the way.
Thanks Jeff! -Brian

Here is a link to another good stuck cartridge shell video, that also explains the whole situation a little better in some ways.

Anyone who stumbles in here in the future, just watch both videos, or search for new ones if these are gone.

If you need to twist or yank excessively on the stuck cartridge at any time, you can always keep the piping and connections safe by grabbing the valve body with a really big vice grip type pliers, locked on securely.

Don’t gouge up the little slots that the retaining clip has to go through, on top and bottom.

You can apply counter force to the vice grips, so you are not hard twisting or yanking on the whole unsupported valve body, which could break a solder joint or whatever.

TIP! Always cover the tub or shower or sink drain with a wet rag, even if you close the drain plug.
Little dropped screws and parts will try their best to escape through a tiny opening.

TIP2! Always lay a thick rag towel or two under where you are working.
Dropping a heavy wrench or metal part can chip your nice tub or sink, and sometimes a loose tile can just pop off, the towels can cushion that and save the day!

When I had guests, they couldn't pull the handle it was so stubborn. I had a specific way of twisting it to get it going. All the houses were build with cheap acrylic tubs and surrounds. There are 2 burn marks on the tub floor from the previous owner who smoked. I don't know how he did that. Anyways, it's all good and functional. Thanks again.

Attachments

• valve.png
    valve.png
    533.7 KB · Views: 7
Caulk around your tub spout, after cleaning with bathtub cleaner, then straight rubbing alcohol.

Shower water is getting behind your surround at the opening for the tub spout nipple.

Leave about a 1/2 to 3/8 inch opening in the circle of caulk, at the very bottom 6 o’clock position.

So any moisture that sneaks in behind can drip out the bottom through the caulk gap.

There is a gasket on the spout, just doesn't show up very well in pic. The one issue I still have is the sleeve that fits over the stem. It's not secured in place and water does get in through that. Did I miss something in the install? Thanks.

Latest posts

Back