1970's Kohler Wellworth Series toilet questions

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justjudy63

Reaction score
I know, I know...the answer is to get a new toilet. But I'm working on this one for now!

I removed all the old guts, and installed a Fluidmaster All-in-One replacement kit. The tank to bowl gasket is too high. It makes the tank high-center, and sit up much higher than it was. When I contacted Kohler about getting a suitable gasket, they informed me that replacement kit is not suitable for this toilet, and that it needs the old-fashioned ballcock type innerds (which is what I removed.) However, the replacement kit has an adjustable water flow dial, which can be dialed up to 3.5 gallons per flush, so it would seem that it should work.

So I want to know, is there a reason that the Fluidmaster replacement kits shouldn't work (assuming I get a different gasket)? Or does Kohler just want to sell me their old-style (very expensive) kit?

By the way, this is my third time posting to the Plumbing Forum, and I am thrilled with the help I've received. Thanks for taking the time to help a stranger!

your best option would be to take the numbers off of the inside of the tank they are stamped into the back...inside the tank bring them to a PLUMBING SUPPLY HOUSE you willget the right parts

Yes, I'm prepared to do that to get the right gasket. But before I buy a gasket, I want to find out if I can use the replacement kit that I've already installed, or if I really have to go back to a ballcock setup.

Without seeing the tank, the ballcock shouldn't have anything to do with your problem. I've found out over the years that
it is best to get the K + the number on the tank and then get the correct flush valve assembly and tank to bowl gasket. Some
lids have all the part numbers listed underneath.

Pretty sure the old Wellworth should be able to be “updated” with fluidmaster parts. Is it that maybe you just haven’t cranked it down enough? That fluidmaster I think has a large orange tank to bowl washer. You can get a black smaller washer but I would be careful, I would buy the whole flush assembly with the smaller washer. Lastly, why oh why would you not put a modern flush water closet in and save yourself the headaches and make Mother Earth smile a little at the water savings?

Yes, the Fluidmaster had the large orange washer, and I cranked the daylights out of it. Old toilet had smaller black ring. But we ended up making Mother Earth smile a little and got a new 1.28gpf toilet. I'm glad I tried, just for the experience and knowledge I gained. I started out knowing ZERO about how toilets work, and after taking it apart and reassembling it 3 times I get how it works. I have no doubt the knowledge will help me in a repair down the line.

Honestly, I was afraid of a low flow toilet because of all the early horror stories. After reading threads on this forum, I understand they have improved dramatically from the early days. Lots of great info from lots of great folks, THANKS!

Good for you! I think the peace of mind is worth the cost and now you know you can keep the new one in tip-top shape forever.

Latest posts

Back