1967 house has washer draining out the wall

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Robinson

Reaction score
Renovating an old house built in 1967 in Hamilton, Virginia. The builder at the time put the washer/dryer in the basement (unfinished at the time) and simply ran a 3" PVC line out the back of the house. Is this still legal? Doesn't seem to me like it would be. The rest of the house is on a septic tank (great condition even all these years later). I could easily drain the washer into a holding tank/pump that's under the sink next to the washer. Oddly they did pump the sink into the septic tank, but with a very small 3/4" pipe that has three 90 degree elbows. And while I see that as easy my SO (who owns the house and is paying for reno) doesn't want to do it. My concern includes that the water leaving that pipe in winter will freeze, but she says she's never had that issue. So I need some code support if possible to convince her this change is necessary - before I put up drywall over all that plumbing!

There’s probably not any water in the pipe unless the washer is pumping water out.

Where does the water go ? Just out in the yard ? Some places that’s fine unless it pools up and stands.

You can check (anonymously) with your local jurisdiction about gray water rules.

More and more towns are allowing and even encouraging gray water systems.

You can pitch everything to drain to daylight.

And some people change to a shorter winter drain setup, less likely to freeze.

There’s probably not any water in the pipe unless the washer is pumping water out.

Where does the water go ? Just out in the yard ? Some places that’s fine unless it pools up and stands.
Yes, it's just out into the yard. Way back in the '70s I drained a photographic sink straight out the wall, actually tied into the condensate drain from the AC unit, that terminated just an inch or so out the wall. In winter it always froze over. We have a critter screen on the end of the pipe, and she (SO) extended the pipe 20 feet or more into the yard. So I'm fairly sure it will freeze some (how much is the question) in an extended cold snap. But I get the gray water drain concept, so perhaps we'll just leave it and let someone else deal with it if it becomes an issue. :) Appreciate all the feedback!

Installing a bigger diameter drain outside, with no bellies or uphill sections, will help avoid freezing.

And not too tight of a screen.

You can create a gravel pit under the discharge end, to help it disperse into the ground.
Two or three bags of pond pebbles or gumball sized gravel.
Or very coarse paver base.
No stone dust.

A condensation line from a furnace is prone to freezing, because it's just a trickle, a discharge from a washer is a large volume of warm water. Like Jeff said, if it slopes away from the house with no bellies it will be fine. The condensate needs to go into a lift station that pumps out a large volume quickly to avoid freezing.

Back