1960 masco shower valve replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond Clavette

Reaction score
Just wondering how I would be able to replace this valve cartridge. I've tried doing research on it but, I can't find anything similar and the branding just say masco which i believe now is delta. Also I dont see any clips behind it to pull off.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks

Attachments

• 20200204_140850.jpg
    20200204_140850.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • 20200204_140855.jpg
    20200204_140855.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
The big chrome piece with the ribbed ring needs to be unscrewed.
It might be stuck on from minerals.

Then that lever attached to a ball comes out, and there are probably springs and rubber boot seals under it.
You can grab the ribs with a big pliers.

The designs and parts have gradually changed over the years.

Bring the old parts to match them up when you shop, or go to a supply house for expert eyeballs to advise you.

The big chrome piece with the ribbed ring needs to be unscrewed.
It might be stuck on from minerals.

Then that lever attached to a ball comes out, and there are probably springs and rubber boot seals under it.
You can grab the ribs with a big pliers.

The designs and parts have gradually changed over the years.

Bring the old parts to match them up when you shop, or go to a supply house for expert eyeballs to advise you.

Thanks for the help and stupid questio . Lefty loosey correct? It doesnt want to budge that way but seems to be miving right

As far as I know, it should unscrew counter clockwise.

You might need to apply penetrating oil at the seam just past the ribs, and let it soak in overnight.

If it turns a little bit the wrong way, that turning will help the oil get into where it needs to go to break things loose.

Take a wrench and slightly tap on that nut all the way around. It has to turn counterclockwise to come off. Put some
penetrating oil on it like Jeff said. Don't crank on it or you will break the two small copper tubes inside. That looks like
a delta faucet. You can buy the repair kit just about anyplace.

Back