17 year old Kenmore still running - replace?

Discussion in 'Water Heaters and Softeners' started by sumdumgai, Aug 30, 2013.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating using the link above.
  1. Aug 30, 2013 #1

sumdumgai

sumdumgai

sumdumgai

Hello. My first post here and hoping to get good advice. I have a Kenmore 50 gal nat gas water heater, with 10 year warranty, that was installed in early 1996. It shows no signs of going bad. Should I go ahead and replace it or let it go until it does shows signs? Thanks.

2. Aug 31, 2013 #2

phishfood

phishfood

phishfood

Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That will depend on some other factors.

Where is it located? If it is in a location that a leakage failure could cause water damage, then I would replace it. If it is in an open carport with positive drainage, then I might not recommend replacement.

How is your water? If your neighbors have a service plumber on speed dial due to water heater failures, or repipes, then I would replace it last week.

Zanne likes this.
  3. Aug 31, 2013 #3

IFIXH20

IFIXH20

IFIXH20

HERE TO HELP Professional

An add-on to what Phishfood has said. The average life for a water heater is 8 to 13 years depending on different factors -- water quality, usuage, etc. Water heaters sometimes shows no signs of failure (signs a home owner might not notice) before failing. Rub your hand down the seam of the water heater , the seam will be in the back of the water heater. You're checking to see if the seam is in tact and not bulging/pulling apart. I will just about bet money your Anode rod is just about completely gone. A new water heater will be more efficient than the one you have now.

4. Sep 3, 2013 #4

sumdumgai

sumdumgai

sumdumgai

Thanks for the input. The water heater is in the basement, most of which is finished. So, if it leaks a lot or bursts a seam, it would do a lot of damage. Also, the anode has never been replaced. I'm going to replace it this month.