100 foot snake didn't work??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Achiever

Reaction score
Toilet backed up. Eventually removed the toilet to discover the drain was full.
Had it professionally snaked 100 feet (cost $500) but still not draining.
BUT EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE HOUSE AND EVEN IN THIS SPECIFIC BATHROOM WORKS FINE!??

How is this possible? Shouldn't the sink and shower be backing up?

Anyone heard of this problem?

I've phoned a number of professionals and everyone wants to charge me another $100 to tell me they will charge me another $500 to send down a camera.

Thanks for any advice, suggestions or insults.

Could the problem be in the vent pipe(s) and where they are located? Also the one thing the auger can't tell you is the slope of the pipe. If the waste drain pipes move up in large stretches of the line, you have the making of a current or future clog. Very hard to fight gravity if it's not on your side. The drainage system in a house is a maze of pipes, rivaling the complexity of the excretory system in a human body. Water and waste go down the path of least resistance. In my neverending saga to recover from one blockage, whose destination was one particular bathroom, we noticed that a washing machine two doors down could cause backflow into a toilet and shower.
What's the worst thing to happen in a house? Flooding from a leak or bad drainage? I think the latter, since it is hardest to diagnose.

Last edited:
Did the snake actually reach the main city sewer line? Could it actually be the toilet itself? Did you run the snake thru the actual toilet? Just food for thought.

Toilet backed up. Eventually removed the toilet to discover the drain was full.
Had it professionally snaked 100 feet (cost $500) but still not draining.
BUT EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE HOUSE AND EVEN IN THIS SPECIFIC BATHROOM WORKS FINE!??

How is this possible? Shouldn't the sink and shower be backing up?

Anyone heard of this problem?

I've phoned a number of professionals and everyone wants to charge me another $100 to tell me they will charge me another $500 to send down a camera.

Thanks for any advice, suggestions or insults.
It sounds to me like the problem may be inside the toilet itself. I’ve pulled out toilet paper rods, sink strainers, baby bottles, etc. from the toilet itself. Was the toilet itself augered? If so you could try removing the toilet and running the supply line down the drain with wads of toilet paper to verify its not the drain. You could also set the toilet on bricks in the lawn, fill the tank with water, and see if it still has issues draining.

How long ago did you have it cleaned? We give a 6 month guarantee. If it was not too long ago call them back and ask them to clean it again. Make sure the use at least a 1/2" cable with a 2 or 3" blade.

Now you mentioned that you pulled the toilet. Did you pull it again to see if it is full? As others have mentioned it could be just clogged. Could get an auger and just try that first. What type of toilet paper do you use? I don't use anything but Scott's 1 ply. A lot of others will not break down as easily and will clump up in rhe toilet or main. Also another thought is anyone that uses it flushing feminine products or flushable wipes? All of these belong in the trash not your sewer..

Back