1.28 gallons per flush vs 1.6

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

branimal

Reaction score
Does the extra 0.32 gallons make a difference in a gravity feed toilet?

I noticed the flush valve size is different as well. 2" vs 3".

I would normally just buy the 1.6 gallon but the model I want doesn't have a right flush. Kinda prefer that as access on the left wall is tight.

It's the Koehler Santa Rosa toilet

Thanks

probably not make much of a difference.
They design the discharge passage to be more stream line.
They have increased the flush valve diameter to allow a quick drop of water for a quicker flush. Not all toilets are the same. Kohlers are decent

Here's a problem with low flow toilets.
The older 3+ gpf would carry the waste down the line further.
Per flush the water has a tendency to out run the waste leaving it to lay in the line until the next flush. Low flow toilets leave more of the waste lying in the line waiting for the next flush to carry further along.

It can be more of a problem with long horizontal old cast iron drains.
One way to compensate is to take a shower/bath after you used the throne.

I have a very short run - the main stack is about 17" behind the toilet.

My condo has these 1980s or early 90s one piece toilets. They can't get rid of solid waste on one flush. And I suspect even after two flushes there is waste in the toilets trap bc the bowl get dirty very quickly.

Idiotic design.

Think I found a right flusher from American standard. Its a little longer than the Santa Rosa. Leaving about 26 inches between the tub and toilet.

Thanks for the explanation.

4dc7f0942dadac0682d50cf8695cc557.jpg

Here's a problem with low flow toilets.
The older 3+ gpf would carry the waste down the line further.
Per flush the water has a tendency to out run the waste leaving it to lay in the line until the next flush. Low flow toilets leave more of the waste lying in the line waiting for the next flush to carry further along.

Sir....I wish I could shake your hand.

I have been saying this for years. My words often falling on deaf ears by homeowners asking my advice and being subject of ridicule from other plumbers thinking I'm wacky. Glad to see others have figured out these problems as well.

I have also saw a toilet online that used less than 1 gallon per flush, but I haven't saw it in the field. I can only imagine the problems these are gonna cause if things keep going the way they are going.

Sir....I wish I could shake your hand.

I have been saying this for years. My words often falling on deaf ears by homeowners asking my advice and being subject of ridicule from other plumbers thinking I'm wacky. Glad to see others have figured out these problems as well.

I have also saw a toilet online that used less than 1 gallon per flush, but I haven't saw it in the field. I can only imagine the problems these are gonna cause if things keep going the way they are going.

Don't understand why they would think you're wacky. It only makes sense.
Do they think that one flush carried the biscuit all the way to the treatment plant or septic tank? :eek:

I've got about 24" in my layout from the head of the toilet to the side of a freestanding tub. Is that too small of a distance? Is it an awkward design?

Thanks

I've got about 24" in my layout from the head of the toilet to the side of a freestanding tub. Is that too small of a distance? Is it an awkward design?

Thanks

Not sure what you mean by head of toilet and the distance of the tub really doesn't matter. Tub can be 20 ft away. What matters is how it's plumbed and vented.

Not sure what you mean by head of toilet and the distance of the tub really doesn't matter. Tub can be 20 ft away. What matters is how it's plumbed and vented.

I meant is that too small of a distance. Will a tall persons knees bang into the tub. I've since changed my layout.

Latest posts

Back