“Water hammer(s)?…or not??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyfisher70

Reaction score
Hello all! Brand new to the forum, and looking for ideas and opinions on what may be causing rattle/banging noises in my pipes (assuming that’s where they’re coming from?).

I bought a home built back in 1995 just around a year ago, and this issue started about six months ago (other than a slight noise when my pressure tank got to a refill point, I never heard any other noises/rattles prior). The home is on a well that is 810’ deep. Essentially, when my pressure tank gauge drops to 40psi, and the well pump is energized, a loud “banging” noise occurs. Then, when the pressure tank gauge reaches 60psi, and the well pump is de-energized, there are a series of loud “bangs” that occur.

In the six months that I’ve had this issue, I’ve had 6 different companies/Plumbers come out to take a look at the situation, yet none have been able to isolate the actual cause, nor provide a definitive solution. A couple have said that it MAY be an issue inside my well, and that the pump could be producing too much pressure, and may need to be replaced (although, they were both unsure if replacing the pump would actually solve the problem inside the home). I did have a Plumber come out that said it may be a bad check valve, and “water hammer(s)”. He installled a new check valve (prior to the pressure tank “T”) as well as a water hammer arrestor (on the well side of the pressure tank).

The water hammer arrestor diminished the initial “bang” (at 40psi) by roughly 50%, yet it’s still very noticeable. However, with the water hammer arrestor ON, the series of loud bangs when the pressure gauge reaches 60psi is MUCH louder. So, given the choice between one loud bang when the pressure gauge reaches 40psi, versus a series of loud bangs when the pressure gauge reaches 60psi, I “picked my poison” and turned the valve to the water hammer arrestor to OFF. Yet, even with the water hammer arrestor OFF, and there being that initial loud “bang” at 40psi, the series of loud bangs at 60psi are still very noticeable...just maybe a tad LESS loud.

Since I’ve had many take a look at this problem, and none seem to have a solution, I thought I would reach out to you all for your insights. Thanks for reading, and I appreciate any and all thoughts on what may be the problem, as well as any ideas on what the fix may be.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back