water heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. ericarlson

Tankless on existing 30 amp double pole breaker?

I need to replace my water heater, hoping to go tankless. My current water heater is on a single 30 amp double pole breaker. I can't find a tankless that runs on my breaker that will run my home. I wouldn't be running much more than a shower and a facuet in central CA foothills. Do they exist...
  2. T

Can Pex be used for Water Heater connections?

Can I use Pex directly to connections on top of electric water heater? It appears Pex is rated to 200 F now and most water heaters are set at 120F. Thanks!
  3. W

I don't know the best setting for my water heater

My Bradford-White fairly new water heater's dial had to be turned to "vacation" while a plumber worked inside on the shower. In turning it back on, I see one line, then a box with an x in it, then the third line. I don't have a manual for it. I have it turned to the first line, but the hot...
  4. fjam

New Water Heater Not Heating

My water heater (gas) isn't heating the water. The pilot is on and so is the flame. The flue pipe is HOT and everything seems to be in order. I even replaced the whole water heater but am getting the same issue. What could be causing this?
  5. S

Past issues with Rinnai tankless water heaters leaking

I've had issues with two different Rinnai tankless water heaters leaking from the heat exchangers over the past several years. I'm now on my second Rinnai tankless water (an RL94i) within the period of only 9 years. The first unit, which was installed when the home was built, started leaking...
  6. G

Pilot won't stay lit on AO Smith Water Heater

Hi, first post to the forum. I'm a relatively handy homeowner/DIY. We have an AO Smith 50gal gas water heater that's at least twenty years old. This morning I noticed the hot water faucet was cold. I went to the water heater and did not hear any gas/flames and could not see the pilot through the...
  7. Eleighwil

Water heater spraying water out the top?

Hi, we are trying to install a gas water heater and everything is going wrong. Yesterday we hooked up the water lines and today we realized that we needed to add in an expansion tank. The water in valve was shut off, but when we disconnected the line from the heater, pressurized water started...
  8. M

3 plumbers can’t figure out the sulfur smell

Hopefully someone can help. We bought an old house and lived there for 5 years and tore it down to re-build ( we had no problems with the water heater or water at that time). The new house is 5000 sq feet. We thought it was a good idea to have (2) water heaters installed. We’re a family of 5...
  9. F

Water Heater Supply Line Troubles

Hey all, replacing an old water heater here and we're struggling to remove the cold water line. The setup is nothing like we've seen around YouTube and some searching. Any thoughts on how to remove it? Let me know if you need me pics Thanks!
  10. BGPhil

Water Heater on a Grade - Level?

Water heater setup is a little odd. Location is in a cabinet built into the outside of the condo. As you exit out the back door of the garage, there's another door right next to it. Inside is tiny room - plenty deep and wide and high enough for a larger water heater than currently installed (50...
  11. BGPhil

Water Heater Outdoor (Sort Of) Enclosure Install on Slight Grade

So, our water heater setup is a little odd. The location is in a cabinet built into the outside of our condo. So, as you exit out the back door of our garage, there's another door right next to it. Inside is tiny room - plenty deep and wide and high enough for a larger water heater than we...
  12. C

Thermal Expansion Relief Valve leaking - replacement

I have a Wilkens BVEC shut-off valve with Thermal Expansion relief valve, going into my water heater. The relief valve has a small leak, less than 0.5 gal/day. The relief valve looks to be threaded into the shut-off valve housing, but I cannot find the replacement part. Is it possible to thread...
  13. K

Pilot light in water heater lights, but burner won't ignite

Hey all, Our water heater went out earlier this week, we were able to relight the pilot and it worked fine. However today, it went out again and we could not get the pilot light to light. After doing some Google searches we replaced the thermopile. The pilot light now will light no problem, but...
  14. L

Pop noises in the pipes

Hello, We had our gas water heater replaced after leak. Due to new code, the new water heater has an expansion tank. Otherwise same exact brand as we had before. Since this is in place, we have been hearing pop noises in the house. It happens when run is running or not. Noises frequency...
  15. C

new electric water tank | flush water 'lukewarm' for first few minutes...

Last summer I had a brand new electric hot water tank installed -- a 50g State ProLine unit. Ths past week-end,I did a tank flush, when I noticed something I wanted to ask about -- when I was draining the water out of the tank, no sediment at all (good!), but...for the first 5-6 minutes, the...
  16. P

Rinnai Tankless - strong vibration

Hello, Amateur plumber here. I installed a Rinnai tankless water heater a couple months ago and it’s awesome. The only problem that I can figure out is that when we use the shower or washing machine(both pull a lot of hot water), the water heater has a massive, loud, house shaking vibration for...
  17. P

I added a hot water recirculating pump to an existing dedicated hot water return line. Does the setup look acceptable?

I added 5 feet of 1/2 in. Type L copper pipe. I connected it to the existing hot water return line which has gate and check valves. The second picture shows the connection of the new pipe to existing gate valve with a SharkBite elbow. That run is 6 inches. The third picture shows the hot water...
  18. S

$520 to replace (soldered) water supply lines to hot water heater?

I have a pinhole leak in the cold water supply line to my hot water heater. Not my area of expertise. Apparently it's soldered to the wall connection. Quote from plumber to replace both the cold water supply line as well as the hot water out line, and doing so with the standard threaded...
  19. S

Gas water heater burner flame condition

We've had a rental 40 gallon natural gas Rheem water heater for 16 years. It ran beautifully and unless you were in the laundry room with it, you would never know it was heating. Even standing in the same room you would only hear a very subtle burner noise. We thought we'd be proactive and...
  20. P

Plumbing/water heater- spots recently on ceiling downstairs, 2 story house. Condensation??? New water heater.

Plumbing/water heater- spots recently on ceiling downstairs, 2 story house. Condensation??? New water heater. Live in same subdivision now for 20 years but could happen anywhere. Got a new water heater in September on 2nd floor in a tiny closet. In that closet is a metal aluminum vent and also...
Back