pvc

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. G

Help replacing ball valves

Greetings Folks. I'm a DIY guy who needs to replace a couple faulty ball valves. I've never done this job. The valves are brass Legend brand, model T-1000, attached to half inch PVC pipes. The pipes are hot and cold water for my bathtub. See photos. I'd like to buy replacement valves and have...
  2. K

Help with cast iron pipe

Hi I am remodeling a bathroom and I noticed my cast iron pipe might need to be replaced before I tile. Should I replace this? Or should I leave it alone. This cast iron leads to the basement and the toilet and sink as well as the kitchen sink drains into it. Also, if I need to replace I am...
  3. R

avoiding corrosion issues w/ lead-free brass

We recently bought a house in a small town with a municipal water system. They treat with chlorine (but claim not to use chloramine). I'm concerned about corrosion, particularly in the lead-free brass that's becoming so common; I know there's DNZ (dezincification-resisitant) brass, but not...
  4. FairlawnPlumber

Need a PVC alternative For bad Plumbing!

Hello everyone, I am New to the forum. I recently changed out my My faucet and noticed that the piping underneath is quite strange and not done correctly. I've attached some photos you can see what i'm talking about. How could I fix this piping or replace it. Are there any alternatives?
  5. M

Questions About Main Water Line Leak Near House

Yesterday we noticed a small stream of water that was coming from the side of our ttached garage and draining to the street. It looks like we have a leak in the main water line between the water meter and our house. The leak is either in the concrete stem wall in the garage where the main line...
  6. AgoristAce

Valve Compatibility Issue with Rainwater System

Total amateur to working with PVC here! I am doing a 550 gallon (2 IBC Totes) rainwater collection system (see last pic) and have hit a major snag. I have all of the parts required to build the system but can't proceed without solving this issue: One of the two Totes I purchased has what...
  7. F

Adding a drain line to existing drain line

Hello, I would like to install a whole house filter that requires a drain line. It will backwash with about 7-10 gpm. I have included pictures to show you what the area looks like. I would like suggestions on how to install a drain and if I am able to use this line in my basement. I ideally...
  8. H

Connecting corroded steel to PVC

I was cutting into an old steel vent pipe to connect a new plumbing vent, when the steel pipe snapped off at the elbow 6" above where I was making the cut. The elbow is fit snuggly between two joists, so getting a new, appropriately-sized Fernco over the elbow would be tricky. And, I'd rather...
  9. M

How to connect pvc to broken off pipe right under slab?

I was removing the lead seal in the cast iron hub right above the concrete slab and the hub ending up breaking off entirely. Now I have the pipe slightly below the concrete slab (see pictures). How to I go about connecting to pvc with this now? I was thinking of removing the surrounding concrete...
  10. L

Have you see type of pipe before?

We bought our house last year. It’s 100 years old, runs off a well, and the majority of the plumbing was updated to plastic give or take ten years ago. I’ve had two joint blowouts in less than a month. First- these are pretty epic failures. What causes blowouts in the pipe AND the fittings...
  11. K

Re-Aligning and Sealing PVC into Cast Iron Stack

General contractor working on bathrooms knocked my stack out of alignment. This caused a leak from shower and toilet drainage. He tried to realign and tighten the connection but some tests proved this wasn’t the best fix. The stack is cast iron transitioning into PVC before it heads to each...
  12. P

Trying to move bulkhead - issue with structure in the way of pipes.

I have a question here regarding my vent. In the pictures, there is the main vent (on the right) which ties into the toilet and vanity vent (on the left). This is currently installed with 45 degree adapters at the top, presumably (I thought) so that they would not cut too much out of the top...
  13. Y

Fix horizontal drain and vent slope

I'm working on my first pluming project and had a quick question on how to fix the drain slope on some short horizontal pipes. The first is a 1 ft section of 2 in pipe for a vent running in the wall. It's sloped slightly backwards right now, but is pretty close to level. Is there an easy way to...
  14. G

PVC to Cast leak

Today I finally caved and had a plumber replace my main 4” cast in the basement. On top of being very messy and not cleaning up, they left me with a leak. I assume they caulked this with lead and oakum. Is this the preferred method? Why not just cut it slightly before the wye and use a Fernco...
  15. D

A Sump Pump with Two Pipe Connections

I need to replace my sump pump but it has 2 PVC pipes connected to it. I can't find any info online about it and no one I've shown pictures to has ever seen something similar. Before I replace it I'd like to know if I need somethinsimilar. Can anyone tell me the purpose of this type of sump...
  16. W

Kitchen Sink Issues

Help! so i have a 1957 Ranch house which is bound to have some degree of issues, and right now it is my kitchen sink. The issues seem to have come out of nowhere. I've never had any issues with drainage and would like to fix it myself if at all possible. I have a garbage disposal on the left and...
  17. BuenaVistaCrew

Idea for Connecting Concrete Pipe to PVC

We’re replacing a stretch of cast iron pipe with PVC. This stretch of new PVC pipe will connect with the main, which is concrete. However, connecting them seems to be tricky; the concrete pipe entrance is 4 inches on the inside but 8 inches on the outside. I’d like to know if it would be...
  18. C

Need Help with bathroom sink

I just recently bought a house and have had a ton of plumbing issues. This new one is a leak under the bathroom sink. I figured it would be easy enough to fix. However, it appears the reason it was leaking is because the drain (sorry I don’t know the terms) that attaches to the sink was slightly...
  19. M

Basement Bathroom sink rough in, where to tie in the sink?

Hi all, Not new to reading the forum, but new to posting. We are finishing our basement, and are now onto the bathroom plumbing. The shower drain and toilet drain have been roughed in underneath our foundation, but the sink is not, leaving us to best decide where to tie the sink drain in. Below...
  20. F

Connecting 3" PVC DVW

I have a downspout buried drain pipe that was constructed with 3" PVC having what I would call "slip joints" with a "bell" end of a few inches on each 10-foot section. The pipe is marked PWPipe PVC Sewer Pipe ASTM .... One of the slip joints parted by nearly a foot so I'm moving one of the...
Back