noise

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. JustAHomeowner

Thumping Sump Pump

Hello all, I bought this house a few months ago. We’ve noticed the sump pump makes this odd, rhythmic, thumping sound every so often. It’s like a gulping sound, see video attached. It stops if you make it run. Any ideas? In case this matters, pump flows to the lawn not sewer.
  2. T

Pipe from gas boiler making loud noise (link to sound)

Hi, I have gas baseboard hot water heat with two taco zone valves. One zone in particular makes a loud knocking noise whenever the thermostat calls for heat. The noise is coming from the first part of the zone right where the zone valve is. I've been in the house for one full winter and I've...
  3. Y

Engine sound after flushing toilet

Hard to describe the noise but my toilet makes this engine sound after I flush. It doesn’t sound like foghorn or hissing to me but please have a listen the video I posted. I found some videos on YouTube which suggested this could be from vibration noise from toilet water valve due to air...
  4. F

Please help with a noise diagnosis - "dragging" followed by water pouring

Hello everyone, I am Filink. I live in on 8th floor in an Toronto apartment complex built in the 70s. Since I moved in here 5 months ago we have been hearing this weird dragging noise throughout the day. You can click on the links to hear it. It lead you to my Clyp page, not virus I promise...
  5. W

Toilet Hissing

Hello all. Ive been having a problem with my toilet and was hoping to get some help. My toilet has been making a constant nonstop hissing noise. I tried tightening the screw on the fill valve holding the float, but ran into another problem. By tightening the screw, I am lowering the waterline...
  6. J

Mysterious Gurgling in Wall

Hello everyone! I moved into a new-construction house about 6 months ago, and for the past 4 weeks I have been periodically hearing a strange gurgling sound in our wall. I only began to hear it after using a rarely-used bathroom. I initially thought it was a plumbing/water issue, so I had a...
  7. B

Vibration from water well pump heard on floors above

Hello, A minor annoyance of my current water well pump system is the noise of a low steady vibration heard on the main floor and second floor of the house. It is not a knocking or clicking noise, just a steady, low vibration noise. I am guessing it is the vibration from the pump system...
  8. webmonk

Very Loud Sound When Shower Is Being Used

Okay, I have searched A LOT for an answer to this sound. Problem is that people have a hard time putting a name to sounds and so when someone says their shower was "whistling", "squealing" or even "roaring" I may not classify mine the same way. Despite that I've tried a lot of the things I've...
  9. R

tankless water heater flow sensor

could a bad flow sensor cause the unit to make a banging noise when the water is turned off at the sink?
  10. E

Drain noise; Me or my Building?

Hello friendly plumbing people! I live on 1st floor of 6-floor apartment building. Recently the drainage has become so loud from the other apartments above. We have a central stack that runs through the bathrooms but I hear it coming through my showers drain for some reason.... like a hollow...
  11. rubadub

Noise related to expansion of copper in Radiant / Hydronic / Baseboard heating

Hi, I'm curious if there are any experiences/insight beyond standard troubleshooting for this issue. The most practical resolutions i've seen so far are to straighten the fins (which i've done) and to ensure the return pipe is not resting on any metal hooks which could create noise... I do not...
  12. R

Noise from water running through lines in walls

I bought a house last year and it has a main bath that is adjacent to a living room. Whenever the water runs in the bath it is very loud in the living room - right on the other side of the wall. Doesn't matter if it is sink, toilet or shower. It is loud. What options do I have to quiet the...
Back