hot water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. C

No hot water

Hello, Yesterday our hot water stopped working. I think I've been able to trace it to the circulator pump but not 100% sure. So no hot water coming out of the holding tank. Pipe is ice cold. All pipes coming into and out of tank are cold. Follow pipe from tank to circulator and boiler and it is...
  2. lollino

Measuring Hot Water Consumption in Shared Recirculation System

Hello everyone, I'm facing a rather complex situation and I need your expert advice. My neighbor and I share a boiler for hot water, and we have a single recirculation pump serving both of our homes. However, after the pump, the recirculation circuit splits into two separate branches, each...
  3. S

Shower Valve Troubles

I'm having a problem with my moen posi temp shower valve. So I have a tankless water heater, im in the process of fixing the elements right now so i can't actually test for hot water, but I can turn the water back on. I replaced the shower valve as it was giving me issues. Here's the problem...
  4. B

Shower water maxes out at lukewarm - HELP!

Hey guys, my dad is in need of some help. He's a retired carpenter who was really excited to do his own shower, but now is running into some issues after everything has been put together. When using the shower, the handle can't be turned more than a quarter turn, and as a result we never get...
  5. BidetBobby

Trying to connect bidet to sink's hot water valve that is too big for 3/8 and too small for 1/2.

Hi there, Recently bought a bidet that comes with a hot water connection, but neither the 3/8 or 1/2 T-Adapter for the bidet is compatible with the sink's hot water valve. I thought the valve was 7/16, but I bought a 7/16 Female x 1/2 MIP Reducing Adapter and it doesn't fit, either. I've been...
  6. mcurrie84

(Almost) No Hot Water Out of Shower/Tub Faucet

I am a new homeowner and am learning the ropes. We have a tankless coil water heater on our oil furnace. The hot water pressure in the entire house leaves a lot to be desired and has gotten worse as of late. I suspect the coils need to be cleaned and I'll get to that as soon as I can. However...
  7. atleastmytearsarewarm

Please, help? Hot water only works with two faucets on?

Hello, can you please help me? A little over a year now, my husband and I moved into an older, tiny home. There's well water that's freezing all year long, pumped into the house via a water pump in the shop right beside the house. There's a tankless water heater in the front (not far from the...
  8. G

Hot Water Tank gone bad? - Rust dust when using hot water

Hi, I'm looking for some help with identifying debris in sinks/tubs when using hot water and how to fix it. We are on a well, and iron in the water for which we have an iron filtration system (chlorine metered into holding tank, then filtered through two filter canisters (4ft tall by 10" wide...
  9. R

Issue with hot water system (pump)

Hi there, We have a standard gravitational system at home and a Salamander pump CT force 30pt is part of the hot water system for the 2nd floor. For the last three months, the pump didn't work well and wasn't starting to generate pressure each time we opened the taps/shower handle. At the...
  10. magictrampnj

Would I be able to buy that small plastic part only?

(no luck in HD/Lowe's nor nearby small shop so far)
  11. W

How to Confirm and Locate Hot-Cold Water Crossover

I manage a five story 16 unit building in New York City, and for months now, had resident reports of hot water that is only lukewarm much of the time, or takes very long to get hot. Even in off-peak (early hours ~ 4 AM) where there should be plenty of stored hot water, the water is initially...
  12. P

Reason for usual HW shutoff valve location

In a conventional system, the standard arrangement is to have a gate valve on the (typically 28mm) cold feed pipe from cistern to cylinder. Out of curiosity, I was wondering why you won't find it on the hw pipe (typically 22mm) going out of the cylinder instead. Of course, positioned after the...
  13. D

Using Faucet Cartridge Without Limiter

Hello all and thank you in advance for the help. My bathtub faucet has been either providing lukewarm water or running low on hot water fairly quickly the last month or so. I think it was always cooler temperatures than other fixtures in the house, but it has become a problem recently. All...
  14. G

Water pressure drops drastically when using hot water for bathtubs?

My family purchased a new home a few years ago. This issue has always been present, but I'm finally getting around to figuring out the issue. Our water heater is in our basement and our bathtubs are on the second floor (2 floors up). If we try to fill the tubs with hot water quickly, the...
  15. Undertaker3106

Cold Hotwater Base

Remodeling a late 1800’s 2 story house in South Central PA. Hot water Peerless Boiler with a Becket Burner. Each room has at least one cast iron radiator with a supply and return line. Every room on 2nd floor was a total gut with removal of cast iron radiator and replaced with baseboard heat...
  16. S

Troubleshooting odd situation

Hoping someone can help troubleshoot an odd situation that I haven't been able to answer via many Google searches! The hot water in our primary kitchen sink has begun working inconsistently. It may provide hot water immediately and then get cold and take many many minutes to get hot again. Or...
  17. C

Syphoning hot water in apt building?

Hi everyone, I live on the 3rd floor of a 6-floor building. I completed a gut renovation years ago and installed a shower and washer/dryer in a former bedroom, connecting the plumbing to the adjacent bathroom. It takes a long time for the water to heat up in all of the bathrooms on this line...
  18. T

Too hot or too cold cartridge style

Tub faucet is either giving very hot can't stand in it type almost scalding water or very cold icy. No nice warm shower. No happy medium temp. Just had cartridges replaced as it was not fully shutting off (constant drop). That drip is now fixed, but now it won't get mix of water. Seems only...
  19. F

Three Handle Shower Faucet, No Hot Water

I have a faucet in a tub/shower combo that has a handle for hot, handle for cold and handle to turn on the faucet and shower We had the tub replaced and shower tiled and since then the hot water from the faucet will not work. It gets barely like warm. There are no issues with the hot water...
  20. D

Electric Hot water on Demand issues

Here at work and we have a little electric hot water heater. It had been sitting for a while but I just installed it because the old identical one just died. I properly installed this one and it worked great for 4 days. Today it’s having issues. If you let it sit with it’s 2.7 gallon tank. It...
Back