shower drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. William Thompson

Shower Clogged Nightmare

Years of neglect has caused a nightmare situation. For some reason a family member did not call my attention to the fact that the main bathroom show and tub of the house was not draining properly. I imagine hair and soap residue has built up. Now, when I ask him, he says as he tries to take a...
  2. Art-Emel

Sewer Gas Smell From Shower Drain But P-Trap Is Full

I smell sewer gas every other day or so in my basement bathroom which has a sink, toilet, and shower. The p-trap on all of them are full and when I get down and smell the drain of the shower, it has a slight stench of the sewer. Is something wrong? How might the gas be getting into the room if...
  3. D

Shower drain problems

The pvc pipe for our shower drain is too high for the Kerdi floor/drain combination we are trying to install. Anyone have any recommendations on how to remove and replace this pipe with a shorter one? Or any tools or devices to cut down the existing pipe. It’s in the second floor with no access...
  4. D

How to remove shower drain

So I’ve gotten this far, castle nut removed and to the rubber seal. The shower pan acts like it’s still attached. Could anyone help me with what I need to do now to get this thing out? Thanks in advance
  5. I

Help on drain vent in shower conversion

Hi. I am in the process on installing shower on 1st floor on concrete slab foundation where a bathtub used to be. I removed the old cast iron tub and tiled walls. This is what's left from the plumbing for the old tub. Since I am installing a walk in shower, I need to removed this and replace...
  6. S

Drain move

Looking to move this drain to the 31" mark but it goes through a joist. Can I extend the pipe slightly and add a new p trap or will that impede water flow?
  7. W

Shower drain, through floor, required distance from floor joice

I am in North Carolina, but I am wondering what standard distance is required between a vertical shower drain and the floor joice. I know the codes could be different in different states and counties, but I am looking for a safe distance. My pipe is 20 PVC, Sch 40. Your help would be...
  8. L

Question about shower drain causing leak?

So, I have a shower that was done by the old homeowner and the drain doesn’t look like it’s done correctly. We notice water damage occurring on our laminate floor in our dining room which is located on the other side of the wall of the shower/bathroom. We also noticed a bit of moisture when we...
  9. H

Shower Drain Help! [Pics]

Hi guys, I am obviously new to the forum, but it looks like there is a lot of knowledge here. As such, I am looking for some help with a shower base I am trying to install over concrete. Basically I don’t have much room to work with fittings, so I am hoping someone can suggest me a best route to...
  10. A

Splitting and rejoining water supply lines

I am making a heat exchanger for my shower trap arm. I have a 2" section of copper drain pipe that I want to coil the incoming water supply line around, before the supply feeds into the 3/4" inlet of my on-demand water heater. I already tried and failed at coiling 3/4" soft copper tubing around...
  11. W

Sewer smell and noise from new shower drain, but GC insists he put a P-trap

Hi everyone, I am having a serious issue with my newly remodeled guest house shower. See attached pic. Every day that I check by turning on the shower, sewer smell comes out from the new shower drain. It also happens when I flush the toilet first, before turning on the shower. The smell...
  12. H

Sulfur smell coming from the shower drain

Here's some quick background information: The ADU was built on slab foundation some 40 years ago and tenants were living there for a long time. I purchased the house 1.5 years ago. During Covid, the one bedroom unit was unused for roughly 6 months as the tenant was working from a remote...
  13. B

Foul smelling air coming from shower drain

Hello, for the past few days I've been able to feel and smell air/gas rushing out from my shower drain. I'm wondering what this could potentially be, and what I could do to fix it. The drain isn't clogged and I haven't had any other issues with the shower. I live in an apartment so I don't have...
  14. R

Shower/tub drain rough in wrong?

There is plumbing roughed in for a 2nd bathroom. There is room to put a tub in, but the drain is 17" from the studs on the short wall (where the 30" tub width would go) and 15" from the studs on the long wall (where the 60" side would go). This is frustrating because aren't most tub drains about...
  15. SteveWPBFL

Drain pan drain - help identify

Hello! I am working on a shower drain that has cracked on the insert piece that screws into the drain. I will attach some pictures. I have checked HD, Lowe’s, Ferguson Supply, Palm Beach Plumbing Supply and Next Plumbing supply and I cannot find this drain anywhere! Nor can I find a similar...
  16. T

Septic smell coming from shower drain

So we bought our house a year ago.. that is how long this has been going on without figuring the problem. We have had 3 plumber's out to try and find the problem. No one knows. When we use the washing machine, dish washer, or master shower, the smell happeneds. We tried making sure we where...
  17. tekoa

How to get Kerdi shower drain into cast iron flange base?

I'm a DIYer remodeling an existing bathroom. My plan is to use Schulter's system for waterproofing including the appropriate Kerdi drain. The old shower drain flange might be hard for me to remove. In large part, because I don't know how it is attached. I looked at the Kerdi Drain with...
  18. C

Clearing Deposits from Shower Drain

Our shower drain started backing up so I took off the cover and used a long hooked drain tool to get out all of the hair blocking the drain. Once I finish that I look down the drain and noticed that a good portion of the drain pipe diameter was filled with what looked like white deposits on...
Back