sump pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. carr0406

Sump Pit Inlet slope

I have a sump pump that runs alot so have been trying to adjust my switch to just above the water table but below the two drain tile inlets to prevent moisture wicking. I only ever get water coming out of the one inlet after a rain and wondered why the other inlet never gets water coming out...
  2. Y

What is this square hole in my crawl space/ basement? French Drains? Sewer cleanout?

I have a 12" x12" square hole in my basement crawl space located next to the main line, it had a failed sump pump in it and looks like on either side of the box there are corrugated 3"-4" tubes coming in feeding water. The water is clean which leads me to think it is a French drain sump but I am...
  3. U

Changing out Submersible Sump Pump

Living in a home in the northeast with a basement sink sump pump connected to a oakum & lead seweage pipe. To my knowledge this has never been changed out and now with the air conditioner condenser running it’s overflowing and not running. I want to change out the motor because it’s rusted out...
  4. Sean Connolly

Sump pump fooling me - what am I missing?

I'm new to my house and have been trying to test my sump pump to confirm it works. I have never had a sump pump before and know little about them other than their purpose and the basics of how they work. I filled the sump pit up maybe 1/3 full with water, then watched/listened for the pump to...
  5. dgdickens

Gurgling P-Trap

Hi Everyone- first time posting: A while back, my upstairs prep sink began to gurgle every time the sump pump in the basement kicked on. I originally thought that my Air Admittance Valve needed to be replaced, but there was no change to the gurgling after replacement. I finally caved and called...
  6. tmenier

Testing my sump pump

I have lived in my current house for about 7 years. I've never tested my sump pump and to be honest, I don't recall ever actually witnessing it run. Knock on wood, my basement has always been completely dry. But I live in Minnesota and like many parts of the country we had an unusually heavy...
  7. F

I heard water keeps running in the sump pump

Usually the sump pump is quite, but today I noticed the water is keep running in the sump pump. It sounds like water keeps flow in. It rained on Friday night and yesterday morning, but from yesterday morning, the rain stopped. Actually before when it rained we never heard about this. What...
  8. JustAHomeowner

Thumping Sump Pump

Hello all, I bought this house a few months ago. We’ve noticed the sump pump makes this odd, rhythmic, thumping sound every so often. It’s like a gulping sound, see video attached. It stops if you make it run. Any ideas? In case this matters, pump flows to the lawn not sewer.
  9. G

Basement interior trench and sump pump - working?

Greetings folks. I moved into an 80-year-old house last fall in MD. Recently with heavy torrential summer rains my basement flooded twice. The signs suggest the water has been entering through a basement window and the basement exterior door. I believe I have remedied these issues temporarily w...
  10. 2

Sump Pump

Good morning all, New member hear and just joined, so please pardon me if this is in the wrong section. My issue is this (excuse the long story, but I feel that some background info may be . I have a home with a finished basement that was built in 2020. Last September (2021) we had...
  11. D

Student research on residential sump pumps

Hi all, My university group project considers possible improvements to sump pumps in basements. We come from an engineering background and study how to innovate products (and chose this field). Have you a sump pump in your basement and/or experienced a flooding event (due to pump issues or...
  12. mokeefe

Help with a Zoeller 540 Flex backup sump pump installation

Greetings! I hope everyone had or is having a great weekend. Feels like Spring finally here in Michigan. I am looking for help with an installation issue I am having with the above mentioned municipal water supply powered back-up sump pump from Zoeller...
  13. V

Sump Pump basin causing clogging

So I have a sump pump in a basin that was improperly installed. The basin is cut straight through the basement slab app the way the the earth below which is all clay. I live about 100 yards off the Hudson River so very low on the water table. That, coupled with an underground stream flowing...
  14. M

Sump Pump Sucking Noise - After Cycle Stops

Hello, Need some help on this one please. New 1 HP Wayne sump pump and "quiet" check valve installed a couple of weeks ago. It runs great. However, after it cycles, there is a sucking/slurping noise almost like a vacuum has been created and fails. It lasts a second or two but is annoying and...
  15. P

Water on top/around sump pump cover

Hi folks. I have a ~2y/o basement sump pump (not 100% on age as we bought the house 4 months ago, but pretty sure it was installed around Nov '19) and just yesterday noticed small amounts of water on top of the pump cover and surrounding area. We have a dehumidifier stacked right next to it (we...
  16. C

Sump pump loud “pouring” noise after each cycle...normal? (with video)

Hi plumbing pros. A very wet Seattleite here, very stumped by my sump pump. I have an 1920s home with a fully finished basement and an interior perimeter drain system, including a covered submersible sump pump system tucked away under tile/slab and behind my clothes dryer. All done by previous...
  17. A

Sump pump short switch life.

My home is only 8 years old and I am on my third sump pump. Every time it is the switch that is going bad. I'm only getting a couple of years out of every product I buy. No matter the horsepower rating the switch still goes bad. My basement does collect more water then normal. I need advice on a...
  18. L

Can someone tell me if this thing is a well water jet pump? Or some type of old sump pump, thank you!

Is this a water well pump? Can anyone tell me if it is safe to cut this pipe and fill the hole? Would any plumbers or HVAC people out there be able to tell me what this is? Its in my Cellar that used to be a drive under the house garage. It looks related to water, perhaps a well pump? Would it...
  19. php2b

Primary Sump Pump Suggestion Zoeller vs Ridgid or something else?

Hi, I'm looking to replace my primary sump pump and I know plumbers usually suggest going with Zoeller but I have a lot of concerns especially after reading reviews about constant switch failures. I'm comparing two options here: Zoeller 0.75HP from Lowes...
  20. P

Sump Pump: Water Powered Back-up

Any thoughts on a water powered back-up sump pumps? Make & Model you install? Ones that are problematic? Installation issues? Other thoughts welcome.
Back