using plastic pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deepwellblues

Reaction score
I just pulled my galvanized 1 1/4 single pipe jet pump suction pipe (60 feet) because the packing failed and I couldn't prime the pump. Can I go back with plastic pipe instead of heavy galv.

I assume you had a single pipe jet on the bottom of that 1-1/4" pipe. If so, I would go back in with galvanized. Plastic is too easy to pull in half at a joint when the leathers on the jet get stuck in a joint or just get jammed up from all the mineral deposits on the inside of the casing. At least with galvanized, you can pull hard on it, turn it and beat on it without fear of it breaking.

I assume you had a single pipe jet on the bottom of that 1-1/4" pipe. If so, I would go back in with galvanized. Plastic is too easy to pull in half at a joint when the leathers on the jet get stuck in a joint or just get jammed up from all the mineral deposits on the inside of the casing. At least with galvanized, you can pull hard on it, turn it and beat on it without fear of it breaking.

Won't argue with that. Packers can get stuck.

Thanks, I had not thought about that, however, I was unsure if plastic would be heavy enough to push the packer thru. I did not encounter a problem pulling the pipe, other than weight, because my packer had failed. (see pic)

20161016_152846.jpg

Won't argue with that. Packers can get stuck.
It probably depends on the area too. Some places have pristine water and others have iron and sulfur. With the pristine water plastic would probably be fine. However the picture of his jet looked like he had sulfur.
Thanks, I had not thought about that, however, I was unsure if plastic would be heavy enough to push the packer thru. I did not encounter a problem pulling the pipe, other than weight, because my packer had failed. (see pic)
I have never personally known leathers to fail by themselves. Foot valves fail and so does casing after a lot of years, but leathers last until you start pulling on them.

Latest posts

Back