Need help in finding location for future filtration system

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demetri90

Reaction score
Hello. I'm a big DIY'r but have little experience in plumbing. I plan on installing a 3 stage filter system, but having a hard time figuring out where to put it. My house is a year old and running off municipal water. Water pipe comes from outside and into cinder/block and down into the foundation.

This is what I want.
ehyyB9v.jpg

Water source before foundation
JmQbUa5.jpg

Water heater and garage sink pipes shown
LdwHV5B.jpg

Water heater and garage sink pipes with framing shown
Crw6n54.jpg

Current water heater setup
tt54kvO.jpg

I'm just not sure if I should somehow try and install the system near the source pipe or somewhere before the water heater. I do want the whole house to be filtered excluding the two outside water hoses/taps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Why do you think you need those in line filters?

After using a water testing kit, we have a pretty high "hardness" 350ppm+ count, with small amount of lead and pesticides. A softener would probably suffice, but I still run into the same question as to where to put it. Wouldn't hurt to put a single or double stage filter system while I'm at it.

I could easily put things outside, but I'd rather have them in my garage.

f you want th whole house filtered
install it where the water enters the building

Right, and that's outside, which then goes into cinder block and down underground. I want future softener/filter in my garage, so I'm guessing I'd have to chip away some block and re-route the pipes into the garage.

I plan on installing a 3 stage filter system, but having a hard time figuring out where to put it. My house is a year old and running off municipal water. Water pipe comes from outside and into cinder/block and down into the foundation.

I'm just not sure if I should somehow try and install the system near the source pipe or somewhere before the water heater. I do want the whole house to be filtered excluding the two outside water hoses/taps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The filtration system has to be installed before the WH. Preferably it should be mounted on the partition wall where the WH is presently (for easier servicing).

Have you had a water analysis done? Do you know what the contaminants are and what you want to control? This will determine filter sizing and capacity.

You are showing a BIG BLUE cartridge system. Is the capacity(ies) enough to filter properly? You may have to go to an IN-OUT tank(s) or maybe even desire a backwash feature.

Water Softener- If you are planning a water softener on a municipal water source, the chlorine (chloramines) have to be filtered out before the WS media is exposed as the chlorine will break down the WS media.

If you want soft water, you can't get it from an inline filter. You need a softener. In my experience, those in line filters are simply a money maker for the cartridge manufacturer. They really serve no purpose on good water. And all municipal water has to be tested and has to be safe for potable use. That is with the exception of Flint Michigan.:confused:

If you want soft water, you can't get it from an inline filter. You need a softener. In my experience, those in line filters are simply a money maker for the cartridge manufacturer. They really serve no purpose on good water.

What's good water? :confused:

They filter (whether IN-LINE cartridge or IN-LINE tank model) in the same manner. It all depends on the amount to be filtered and the flow rate.

And all municipal water has to be tested and has to be safe for potable use.

That is with the exception of Flint Michigan.:confused:

And that test(s) is done as the water leaves the plant. Flint is a good example as the result of lead piping.

You have to know what is entering your home and even then can change on a frequent basis.

What's good water?
99% of all the municipal water in the US. People have been lied to so much over the years that they think all water is bad for them. Some are paranoid. I have read many instances of people on Forums who are actually afraid of the water that comes out of their tap.

I would defend well water the same way except that some water in the US is polluted normally due to industrial waste. Then there are the little shallow hand drilled or driven wells that contain lots of nitrite, nitrate, fecal matter, farm chemicals and other nasties. I know of several here in my area. People are still bathing in it "But they don't drink it." because that is the only way they think it could be bad for them. Actually bathing introduces more contaminants to your blood stream than drinking the same water.

KULTULZ said:
What's good water?

99% of all the municipal water in the US.

:eek:

You are guaranteeing the poster that he has no concern over whatever comes out of his tap? You are a brave soul.

You heard it folks. speedbump says 99% of all tap water is to standards and safe to drink.

He is backing that up of course... ;)

Latest posts

Back