Trouble removing valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimAustin

Reaction score
Leaky Speakman hot water valve. I unscrewed valve but can't remove it. There's a piece of chromed pipe coming through the plastic shower enclosure that blocks the valve. Haven't seen this before. Should that chromed pipe unscrew?

Last edited:
Sorry--it's at my in-laws and now reassembled. I took a quick shot of the assembled valve. Once the flange and the knob are removed, that shiny pipe remains and blocks the valve after it has been unscrewed. It's loose but won't come out.

IMG_1804.jpg

By the way: When I say "leaky", I mean it leaks out the valve, not out the shower head.

The chrome stem cover, which is located between the escutcheon (chrome plate against the wall) and the handle, is usually pushed and sealed with plumber's putty. It will come out so you may have to just use more persuasion. Use a pair of channel locks with a piece of rubber over the teeth to protect the chrome (old inner tube works great, or a rubber strap wrench) and twist it counter clockwise.

Havasu--thanks for this. I also found a pic online that shows the sleeve threaded on the inside.

http://www.noelsplumbingsupply.com/p/479/speakman-escutcheon-sleeve

except I also saw a note saying that prior to 1986, these had a flawed design, with a set screw well behind the tub wall:

http://www.findplumbing.com/threads/speakman-tub-valve.10/

(fourth post). I'm afraid this may have been installed before 1986, so that could be trouble.

Finally, this valve seems to be a bit different from the (few) others I've dealt with in the past. You don't just screw out the whole valve stem with a faucet wrench. You have to remove a nut (packing nut?), then screw out the valve by rotating it counter-clockwise. Since I haven't been able to get the valve to clear the escutcheon sleeve, I can't see what things look like in there. What will I likely need to do/replace to stop the leakage out the front of the valve?

The in-laws house is 3 hours away. I'll be back there tomorrow and give it another shot.

Thanks,

Jim

Of course that's a set screw, obviously. And that is easy to remove. But once that's off, and the knob is off, that chrome sleeve is still attached. It blocks the valve when you try to remove it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so I made it back to the in-laws today to try to fix the leaky valve. Disassembly was not a problem, but fixing the leak was. All I did was disassemble and replace the obvious wear parts--a fiber washer and a rubber washer. Didn't work. There's a pic of the valve attached. In disassembling it, I removed some packing from behind what I now realize is provocatively called a "packing nut." Being a non-plumber, I always thought that string or whatever you wrap around a stem was something people like me did when we don't have a better solution. But that "packing nut" makes me wonder if "packing" is part of the design of valves like this--what keeps the water from coming out the valve.

Anyway, I need some help here. You see the valve--so how do I fix this leak?

Thanks.

IMG_1808.JPG

How about a picture of all the parts.

where do the threads an the stem screw into?

is there a packing nut not shown in your picture?

Latest posts

Back