Can a cistern pump be a booster?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drake

Reaction score
I live quite a few miles out of town and my house used to be on a cistern. I now have city water but the pressure is very low. Can I use my old cistern water pump as a booster or will that cause problems?

Thanks in advance!

This is the water pump that I mentioned. Do you need the specs off of it?

IMG_2110.jpg

That should work fine to boost city pressure. But you can also fill the cistern with city water and use the booster the same way it was used in the past.

Thanks! I'm pretty sure that the cistern cannot be used anymore. I know they treated for termites before I bought the place and can see where they drilled down in the concrete slab that goes over the cistern. I've been told that if this happens the cistern has been poisoned and cannot be used for drinking water. Does that sound right to you?

I wouldn't think the cistern would be contaminated unless they put chemical right in it. The reason they drill into the concrete is to get the chemical down into the dirt below the cement to thwart the little buggers re entry into your home.

Back