Help Identifying Hole In Basement Floor

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotShotMedic

Reaction score
Hello all, first time poster here, I really hope you can help me identify a square hole in my basement floor.
A little history first. We have a finished rec room and a bathroom in our basement. About 3 years ago our toilet downstairs began backing up and would bubble if the shower or sink was draining upstairs. We suspected roots in our main outlet line and we were proven correct after a video snake inspection. During the visit, the plumber found this square hole with only a black PVC pipe with no cleanout or cap on it. He identified it as being our sewer line but like I said, was unable to access it for cleanout. We went about having our front yard dug up and our sewer line and water line replaced. (and also a cleanout near the foundation, above ground for easy access) Its been working great ever since.
This past week, our area received an unprecedented 225mm of rain in a 14 hour period. This had a severe impact on the city's existing infrastructure to get rid of all the excess water flooding their lines. This resulted in many homes sewer lines backing up through their toilets and basement drains and into their basements. (in addition to the extreme flooding in lower areas of the city that simply entered right through the front doors and windows)
We received about 3 inches of standing water in our finished basement which destroyed the carpet, some of our furniture and saturated the drywall up to about 2.5 feet (so far).
We have extended water damage coverage from our insurance company which covers sewer back-up.
The adjuster was in our home and was confused by this hole (pics below) and the absence of a basement drain. We have no actual pictures of video of the water pouring out of our toilet (my wife was home with our two young children and panicked, no pics obtained).
We are nervous that the adjuster/insurance company will reject our claim and blame ground water coming up through this mysterious hole. So we're waiting....and sweating...

Sorry for the long story, If anyone could help me identify what the hell this is, I would appreciate it. Its located in my furnace room behind my furnace and water heater.
http://imgur.com/a/2CQbq

Latest posts

Back