Washing Machine Valves

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIMMIEM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My washing machines valves have started dripping. Tightening the bonnet nut stops the leaking but after a while they leak again. I would like to replace the current gate valves with ball valves. The centers of the handles are just about 6 inches apart and I would like to replace them with one of those 1 piece units but I'm not sure if that is possible without moving the existing lines or if there is a 1 piece unit with 6 inch centers. I was just going to add some packing and replace the washers. Also, I turn close the valves when not in use but my wife doesn't and gate valves would be easier to use and more noticeable as to off or on.
Took some pics in case my terminology isn't correct.

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

I'm no plumbing expert but with a one time plumbing adjustment, you would get exactly what you want/need. Found this one at Home Depot but it won't match up without some modifications.

dea6dd7d-f256-4faf-8c04-37e0b4bcfb04_400.jpg

FWIW, I'm a big fan of the Watts valve shown in havasu's post. Those sweat connectors can be rotated 360 deg after you loosen those screws in front so it is very adaptable. That being said, in your place, I'd remove the packing nut (valve bonnet), wrap 3 or 4 turns of graphite packing around the stem, then reinstall the packing nut. That will more than likely fix your issue and it's easier than other alternatives.
FWIW
YMMV

FWIW, I'm a big fan of the Watts valve shown in havasu's post. Those sweat connectors can be rotated 360 deg after you loosen those screws in front so it is very adaptable. That being said, in your place, I'd remove the packing nut (valve bonnet), wrap 3 or 4 turns of graphite packing around the stem, then reinstall the packing nut. That will more than likely fix your issue and it's easier than other alternatives.
FWIW
YMMV
Most of the packing that I see is Teflon....is Graphite better? Also, would you recommend replacing the washers while I'm at it? I was just thinking that a new ball valve would be longer lasting, easier for my wife, and also easier to see if the water was ON or OFF....I always shut the valve off when the washer is not being used. Also, seeing as how this is a threaded connection it would be quick and easy to replace the entire valve.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Webstone-40312W-1-2-Female-x-Hose-Full-Port-Ball-Valve-Lead-Free

40312w-4.jpg

post #1 '' I would like to replace the current gate valves with ball valves. ''

that is what that is, a ball valve, one end screws on pipe, the other end a hose screws on it

I'm not sure if I misstated what I was looking for. I want a washing machine valve that uses a ball type valve instead of a gate type valve.

Using as an example not as actual valves, lead content and all.

Never said it was a ball valve. Was posting the link to show a quater turn valve, if that's what they meant instead of the ball valves you showed them.

Never said it was a ball valve. Was posting the link to show a quater turn valve, if that's what they meant instead of the ball valves you showed them.

i am still trying to figure out what he wants, he says ball valve
but then saw a ball valve and ...not so sure.

i really do not understand delimia

i am still trying to figure out what he wants, he says ball valve
but then saw a ball valve and ...not so sure.

i really do not understand delimia

I would like a 1/4 turn washing machine valve. Apologies if I was confusing by referring to it as a ball valve. Does a 1/4 turn valve use a ball valve?

When you first posted I linked you to 1/4 turn ball valves.

Yes, you did and I went to purchase them. Thank You.
The thread kept going when others posted. When people take the time to respond and provide information I feel the polite thing to do is respond to them.
Again, you linked me to exactly what I had in mind.

now my feelings are hurted....i like the long handle better,

i need a safe zone to go to and think about this.

I haven't installed them yet.....another crisis has come up. I'll get a long handle one and install one of each!!!!
I appreciate everybody's help and don't want to hurt anybody's feelings.
Now the only question is which style to put on which pipe.....this will take some serious thought.

Latest posts

Back