Help with laundry basin drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cottageguy

Reaction score
Hi there,

I was hoping someone knowledgeable will be able to help me fix my plumbing issue. Before I dive into my story, just want to say that I inheritted this mess.

The current issue is the tub basin doesn't drain. It's been draining slowly for a long time, however, I noticed today a 4" stain around the tub basin. Note, our washer drains into the tub basin.

I've sketched out and uploaded some pictures. I'm very handy just need advice on how I could re-plumb this if that is even possible.

I know that a vent stack is need to get air behind the water as it drains. The issue is there is no vent stack.

Also want to mention that the pipe extending to the left I have it capped with a plastic rubber cap. If I remove it with the the tub full, water comes flowing out this pipe.

If someone could maybe sketch I we need to do that would be great or if you feel I should call a plumber I will do that do but I would prefer to the expense knowing that I can cut and glue abs.

Thanks

IMG_4132.JPG

IMG_4133.JPG

IMG_4134.JPG

PLUMB1.jpg

The absence of any type of a vent pipe is a huge problem. All of the drain plumbing you see in the picture has to be removed and replaced correctly, no way to save any of that mess. BUT none of that is the cause of the problem you describe. YOU HAVE A SIMPLE, COMMON DRAIN CLOG. Nothing more. Snake the line to remove the clog. Then saw off all the pipe and re-do correctly.

Last edited:
And,

You need some type of discharge filtration to prevent lint blocges in your pipes.

$(KGrHqR,!ooFG5hyM+jOBRy44ub-H!~~60_57.JPG

ADDENDUM (Fr) -

blocges ... :confused:

Last edited:
Reactions: SHR
Okay. Thanks. I know it all needs to be redone.

I'm pretty sure I'm not allow to have an open vent right in the room but what about those cheater vents.

I'm not sure if those are even allowed in my area.

You also have an S-TRAP @ the standpipe that needs to be addressed.

An AAV (vent) can be used in this situation.

Standpipe- Laundry _2.JPG

V_200_Instructions.jpg

S-TRAP @ Standpipe.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. A plumber was out today and removed the clog and removed one of the ptraps and installed a cleanout and is getting me an approved cheater vent.

Back