PVC joints start leaking after turning on filter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tworedsocks

Reaction score
Hi there - I can't figure out what went wrong here, maybe more eyes on it will help. Pic below.

My installer put in the filter but I didn't route water through it until a month later (I had trouble finding a circuit breaker).

24 hours before activating the filter, I shocked my well again, to kill off any bacteria in the lines. After the bleach sat overnight, I ran my water an hour, and most of the bleach flushed out of the system.

Up to this point I had no leaks. Then I brought the whole-house filter into the loop. Within 24 hours, all the joints along the vertical PVC line started leaking.

The only three things I could think of are

(1) bleach ruined the glue bond on the pvc? But lots of people shock their wells and don't have this problem, and it wasn't that concentrated, and I flushed it out mostly before using the filter.

(2) my installer didn't use primer (but the line worked fine without leaks for nearly a month and only leaked after the filter was activated)

(3) something about the pre-filter was caustic to the lines - After turning on the filter we had an awful stink when we ran the water for two days then it went away (but maybe that stink was something happening to my pvc glue and not related to a new pre-filter smell?)

My only other question is why don't the other PVC joints leak, too? It's only on the vertical. Maybe it has something to do with joining to the older pvc?

Anyway, if you have any thoughts I'd sure appreciate them.

PIC:

water-filter-leaking.jpg

Are you positive that it's not one leak seeping down the line?

Thanks for the replies/questions

Not leaking down the line from one up top - I dried them all and checked.

Water bottle post-filter . . .there is a leak there, too, but that's a separate issue, not pvc-to-pcv fitting.

I figured out my installer wasn't using primer about 3/4 of the way through the job and he laughed off my concerns.

Any other thoughts why it didn't leak for a month and then leaked within 24 hours of the filter coming on-line? And what about that strong chemical smell? I contacted the manufacturer and they said the pre-filter does not put off an odor.

Anyone using PVC for pressurized water lines inside a dwelling does not have a clue about plumbing. and blue wet location cement may be OK, maybe...but never without primer! That whole set-up has to be torn out and re-plumbed correctly.

And (IMO),

Those CHI-COM PVC valves are notorious for failure/leakage and need to be replaced with quality brass or quality PVC shut-off valves (I use KBI and or SPEARS - not that it matters).

Water bottle post-filter . . .there is a leak there, too, but that's a separate issue, not pvc-to-pcv fitting.

:confused: ... water bottle post filter... :confused:

What is a bottle water post filter and why would you need a post filter after a UV?

I figured out my installer wasn't using primer about 3/4 of the way through the job and he laughed off my concerns.

See if he laughs when you bill him to straighten out his mess... :cool:

What is the pressure rating on that water bottle?

You had better cut the filtering circuit off until it can be installed correctly or you may walk into a flooded basement in the morning... :eek:

water bottle post filter meaning the water bottle hanging on line that comes out post-filter

Yes, I might wake up to a leak . . .problem is the most leaky line will be in use whether the filter is in the loop or not
See if he laughs when you bill him to straighten out his mess...

LOL

:confused:

Post filter? On the system you show, there is only a pre-filter (canister) and a UV. There is no description of what cartridge the pre-filter has in it. Usually, the UV manufacturer calls for a carbon block filter before the UV to catch any particulates that will hinder the UV operation.

There should be no need for a post-filter after a UV.

Now exactly what does that water bottle do and is it a part of that system?

I am a little slow on the up-take so you are going to have to help me... :eek:

By post filter I just mean the water bottle is located after the filter.
Just like the water bottle at the bottom, it's catching a drip.
This drip is metal-to-pvc, not a glue issue like the others.

Sorry was not sure if this post was answered. I have plastic pipe in my basement. You have some possible things. The joints were just not properly glued or left to cure. That over time would create a weakness in your seal. The other one is that depending on the age of the glue/pipe the plumber could have been slightly rough when installing and cracked the glue. I was replacing my plastic my fridge line just last week and I did that exact same thing banging around with my clumsy hands.

Quote: "slightly rough when installing"

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Hope you got your fridge line fixed. Experience is an effective but somewhat cruel teacher.

Latest posts

Back