New here with a problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwsonar

Reaction score
Hello all, thanks for having me. Hope you can help.

I found a leak in the cast iron drain. I'll try to describe where it is. Straight down from the vent, sink taps in to the side. Below that is the access plug at the bottom, at 90 degrees. 90 degrees the other way is the drain line. Hole is right on the bottom of that junction. Looks like it is below the slab, but the pipe goes through the slab. Right in the edge of the slab, so I kind of have access.

Is this something I can handle myself? How would I do it? I'm not a plumber, but I'm pretty handy. If it were PVC I know I could do it, but cast iron pipe I'm not sure what to do. Also, money to hire someone is a real problem right now, which is why I'm here.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Dave

I keep calling a leak, it's a hole. At least an inch in diameter. Where it is, I can't use a wrap around patch

I realize I have to dig it out more to fix it. What has to be done to fix it? Do I need to replace that section from vent tube to drain line? How? It looks like I'd have to chip out the concrete to do it. Can I cut the pipe after the hole? How? How do I attach to the pipe after I cut it?

Back