Angle of waste WYE on horizontal drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrench187

Reaction score
I understand for vent Wye connections - the angle should be min of 45 deg from horizontal up to 90 deg (straight up). What about a waste wye connection? Should it be no more than 45 deg from horizontal but definitely no lower than horizontal (0 deg)?

I have a tight spot where I need to connect a 2" shower trap, 2" san tee for vent then to the main waste branch and to the Wye. I figure if I have a range (0-30 degrees from horizontal) that may buy me some additional space to get all the connections and fitting for the shower trap.

Thanks!

waste y can be level or, actually 2% but not being picky

the vent wye is elevated so that the air can not be blocked bu the water

be advised, when you install the vent, the waste arm can not change elevation

Last edited:
Thanks Frodo - Do you mean to say the vent arm cannot change elevation?

I'll need to go from nearly horizontal Wye, to a 2" vent (san-tee), then right into a 2" trap for the shower. Then extend up to finished floor elevation.

The vent will need to go almost horizontal across to the main branch, over to the outside wall then up to the roof. I'll fab up something tonight and take a photo

Thanks again!

Ah! So using only 90's for getting the vent up and over to the exterior wall. Then go vertical as needed

You an roll the waste wye to horizontal .
you can install the santee at 45 plus from horizontal.
or go vertical with a 90.
You can also roll the 90 and put the santee on that if you need to point he santee a different direction. The problem with santee on a 45 tilt is you cannot rotate the branch 360 horizontally to point it to where you want

You can also use a street santee to get another inch lower

zzz.jpg

Back