Weeping by teflon/PTFE at brass connection

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrens

Reaction score
Hello

I am connecting a male screw-in connector to my master valve (female).

However there is some water “weeping” from 1 side of the join.

I have used a PTFE/teflon tape from a plumbing supply store (so its good quality, also feels thicker than normal) and wound it around the thread 7 times.

I then tightened with a spanner, however was cautious not to over tighten. (with the 7 strands of tape, it is difficult to hand tighten)

I am not sure if the weeping is because I used too much tape, causing it to shear in 1 place, or because I tightened it with a spanner, or both?

Any advice is welcome – should I use less tape, say 4 strands and hand tighten plus 1 extra turn?

Or do I need more tape perhaps?

IMG_4593.jpg

Did you wrap it in the direction of the threads? And it also looks like you may have used to much.

7 wraps of tape is too much, especially with the pink stuff, it's thicker.

If you peel it apart, you will likely find all your teflon chewed up and none on the threads. I see it's all bunched up at the top.

You are not sealing the threads with teflon. Teflon is simply used as a lubricant to get the joint tighter, your tapered threads are seal.

The pink teflon you use, two wraps at the most, go with the direction you are threading. I also use teflon and pipe dope on the threads for extra protection.

I've heard plumbers get into very heated arguments about using both Teflon tape and pipe dope. Is there already a thread on that?

Latest posts

Back