1" Tub Diverter Spout - help with replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richardcurryt

Reaction score
We need to replace the tub spout in a home we just purchased. It's a 1" thread and I can't find replacements at any of the local hardware stores. All the "Universal" replacements don't work. The spout doesn't have any markings or name on it. It screws on and off, and there isn't enough copper pipe from the wall to replace the thread with a newer 1/2 fitting.

Any direction on how this might be replaced would be much appreciated.

tub3.jpg

tub2.jpg

tub1.jpg

Also, there is an access panel to the tub, so clearly was issues at some point. Would it be easier to change the fitting behind the wall to a standard 1/2 or is the connector shown here likely 1" as well?

fitting.jpg

Your pipe feeding the tub spout is 1/2" steel. You are missing something. The fitting you show the tape measure on is the same size as 1/2" pipe. You did not have a 1" tub spout. Simply remove the pipe nipple coming out of the wall and replace with a correctly sized 1/2" nipple and any 1/2" tub spout will connect.

Last edited:
Here's a picture of the tub side. I used a pipe wrench to try and turn the nipple and it doesn't budge. So I'm assuming its soldered on maybe? Removing it won't leave any room for a new connection, so i should be ok to just remove the entire piece from the elbow through the wall, and replace ?

thread.jpg

Latest posts

Back