Pipe/fitting leak question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trk1985

Reaction score
I have a leak in my basement at the connection between a pipe and a brass fitting.

I tried to put teflon tape over the threading, and then I also tried putting an o-ring in the brass fitting, and it is still leaking. I'm attaching a picture. You can see two pipes right next to each other in the picture, it is the pipe that is further away from the camera.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should try next? I'm not exactly the most handy person, but I feel like I should be able to do this myself.

Thank you

oaMmICl.jpg

On the brass fitting I used vice grips, on the pipe I used a 14" pipe wrench. The problem with tightening any more is that it's about as tight as I can get it while still having enough room to fit the pipe wrench on.

By the way, I did tighten it a little more, and this is what it looks like now

1yOv7VGr.jpg

My guess is the brass fitting has split and must be replaced. Female soft metal or plastic fittings tightening on to steel pipe is never a good plan...

Interesting, so how would I remove the fitting? Do I have to remove that clamp on the left side? If so, is there a special type of tool to remove it? Because, just looking at it, I'm not sure how I would remove that clamp.

And what material should I use for the new fitting?

here is the deal on brass to steel
it is never a good deal because, their is a fine line between not tite annd to tight

i n mo opinion useing vice grips it is not tight enough,

but, you can get brass to tight and it will stretch because it is softer than the steel
stetch it to far, it will split

in your case, you need to cut the plastic pipe in order to turn the nut

in ordr to do that, you need a crimp tool to put the plastic back together, so here is where we are

spend the money on some tools crimp tool, and a pipe cutter and another 14;'' wrench
plus fittings
or call a plumber

crimp tool 40.00
cutter 15.00
wrench 20.00
fittings 25.00

i suggest, going back with a union instead of a female adapter
that way next time.....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back