Plastic handle stuck in still moving garbage disposal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ari

Reaction score
I have a problem that seems rather unique in that I haven't been able to find a solution to it despite lots of digging around on the internet and trying out quite a few things on my own.

A few days ago a tablespoon like this one (https://amzn.com/B01CO446W2) was in my garbage disposal when it was turned on. The very end of the handle (maybe the last quarter inch) got pulled under the outside edge of the impeller plate while the rest of the spoon is still above the plate and is easily reachable. I believe it somehow got bent around the edge of the plate and is now in an L shape.

The odd part is that the disposal still turn totally fine. Whatever part of the handle that is stuck under just keeps the spoon from being removed, but when the disposal is turned on, the spoon moves with the disposal rotation... and makes a super loud noise as it smacks against the side of the drain.

I have tried for a good couple of hours to get it out using everything from a pliers to a wooden stick while turning the gears.

Any suggestions would be tremendously appreciated.

on the underside of the disposal. is a hole you can insert the allen wrench that came with the disposal

it will turn the blade inside while you remove the spoon.

turn the breaker off first , then reach in with your hand. snatch it out

turn the breaker off first

if that does not work,remove disposal. dissemble

Reactions: SHR

Latest posts

Back