Installing used moldy drain pipes

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gotchicken01

Reaction score
Yesterday I had a sink and garbage disposal installed. Today I opened the cabinet underneath and found a puddle of water. I found a couple of nuts loose and tightened them. Water was still leaking. I noticed there was some Teflon tape sticking out. So I decided to take it apart. It is late at night and I wanted to check it out before it has a chance to ruin my new cabinets. When I took one of the pipes off the sides were covered in mold and there was a buildup making the water backup. There was another pvc pipe that had good amount of dirt in it. Also all the old drain pipes were removed before plumber got here, accept for the part going through the wall. So the my old drain pipes werent there to reuse. My question is "Is it acceptable to used old moldy dirty pvc pipes for a new installation?

Last edited:
no, it is not acceptable , code says the piping must be clean, and serviceable

look on your ticket, did he charge you for new piping.

calll that rat bastid back, tell him to fix his leaks with new material

if he refuses, take pictures of the mold nd leaking pips, post it on his facebook page

complementing him on his **** work

I greatly appreciate your reply. The work was done through a sub contractor through my contractor. I looked at my ticket and it just says install items and labor. It doesn't have it broken down for costs there. This is how one of the pipes looked. Also, is it normal to use Teflon tape on pvc drain pipes? This is the first I've seen it.

20160826_202006.jpg

No one who has the slightest idea of what they were doing would have used teflon tape on the tubular drainage joints. Your contractor and/or sub did not have a plumber do the installation. BTW that looks like polypropylene pipe, not PVC. I feel poly is a better tubular drainage pipe in installations such as your's, so that is good.

No one who has the slightest idea of what they were doing would have used teflon tape on the tubular drainage joints. Your contractor and/or sub did not have a plumber do the installation. BTW that looks like polypropylene pipe, not PVC. I feel poly is a better tubular drainage pipe in installations such as your's, so that is good.

I would never put tubular on a kitchen sink. Especially with a garbage disposer. But with that being said, many have disagreed with me.

I greatly appreciate your reply. The work was done through a sub contractor through my contractor. I looked at my ticket and it just says install items and labor. It doesn't have it broken down for costs there. This is how one of the pipes looked. Also, is it normal to use Teflon tape on pvc drain pipes? This is the first I've seen it.

always ask for an itemized ticket, weather it is car repair or plumbing

some nimrod uses a 50 cent washer but writes $75.00 parts

it is not itemized yu are not paying attention.

be alert the world needs more lerts :D

I would never put tubular on a kitchen sink. Especially with a garbage disposer. But with that being said, many have disagreed with me.

I am one who disagrees. I ONLY will use tubular drain pipes under sinks. Properly installed, I have never had a bad experience and future maintenance is a breeze.

...then I get out the saw and replace it all...
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

each horizontal drainage pipe shall be provided with a co.
at its upper terminal, base of stack, right ?

an exception to this, is to use the trap as a clean out.

under clean outs

a clean out shall be accessible,

by gluing the trap , you are making the trap ineligible to be used as a clean out. not accessible

in less you have a clean out installed at base of stack .

correct ?

Reactions: SHR
Originally Posted by frodo

master-po.jpg

i use tubular , because you can remove and clean.
When ever i go under a sink and find the drain glued in i cuss

sch 40 union trap comes apart

attachment.php

It is not nice to correct THE MASTER...

I hate PP also...
grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back to the OP's original question, I see drain sludge in the tubular pipes, not mold. The sludge could have come from being connected to the OP's drainage system for even a short time. The outside of the pipes appear brand new. Impossible to tell whether the pipe was new or used. Bottom line though is, contractor has to fix the poor installation. Shame on the contractor for having someone who knows little or nothing do the plumbing.

LOL....allright grasshopper

the trap comes off, but does the j bend come off, so you can clean the trap arm.

if it does,,,,I bow to the Master

I was a construction plumber, this is how I have always done it. So my dear we will have to agree to disagree. cheers ;)

Reactions: SHR
Just to chime in and give my unwanted opinion, I hate tubular traps. They look cheap. I glue everything.

We're not even allowed to use them here, building inspectors will fail them.

I guess I am old.

I can see the use of PP (not really) or PVC drain. It is cheap and easy (much like myself).

But I still like the look of chrome plated brass and supply when you open a cabinet, especially in a high end house.

Lavatory Sink- Brite DWV.jpg

Latest posts

Back