Desperate bathtub situation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ihollaway

Reaction score
Noticed a couple of weeks ago that my fiberglass bathtub seems to have developed "soft" spots in the floor that I don't remember being there before.

Obviously, I am concerned that this indicates a lack of support under the tub which is going to lead to a cracked tub so, since I currently have visual access (as I have a cabinet removed from the faucet-end of the tub for a previous repair), I took a look.

To my surprise, there doesn't appear to be anything between the bottom of the tub and the plywood sub-floor - no sand, no mortar, no foam. This complete lack of support would explain a lot: why I have to repair the caulk yearly (pulls away from the wall as the tub flexes), why the drain pipe cracked (too much weight directly on the plumbing), and why the tub constantly collects mineral sediment (bowed and not draining correctly).

I do not in any way have the wherewithal to completely remove and re-seat the tub: I have next-to-no available finances, no additional assistance, and I have to fix it this weekend (my family is able to stay at my in-laws from Friday evening to Sunday afternoon)

So, now that you understand my plight, onto my actual questions:

1) If there are no obvious visible cracks in the tub, do we still think it is salvageable? (10+ years with absolutely no bottom-support makes me think it is untrustworthy.)

2) My best bet seems to be injectable foam, but even that may be difficult because I would have to try to run it in from only the faucet-end of the tub as there is no other access. (I *MIGHT* be able to remove a section of my living room ceiling which *MIGHT* give me some access from the opposite end of the tub - but it is a big maybe and will definitely be a huge undertaking.)

3) Any other options? I'm fairly desperate here.

Sounds like you got it. And yes to be safe remove a piece of the ceiling to ensure you get enough foam in it. It will be worth it in the long run.

Back