shower bath diverter issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marymmcc

Reaction score
My condo bathroom was renovated – the room was gutted and re-plumbed using pex by a licensed plumber, while the remaining work was done by a contractor.
The issues are:
1.Shower head leaks when tub is filling.
2.When showering, great effort is needed to keep the diverter high enough to stop the tub filler, otherwise it leaks and shower is weak.
3.Tub spout is loose on the wall.
The facts are:
1.Moen shower head and tub spout with pull up diverter
2.The line that feeds the tub spout is pex not copper. It is housed in a 2 inch wall.
3.A piece of plywood was installed on the interior wall in order to staple the pex line, close to the 90 degree fitting that then connects to the spout.
4.Tub spout located on 5’ wall so 2 people could share a bath without the spout in one person’s back
Contractor blamed it on the position of tub spout. He quoted Moen as saying tub spout cannot be more than 14” from shower. His solution was to install a diverter on the shower. Though this is effective to prevent the shower from leaking when filling the tub, it does not solve the tub spout diverter problem. Three months later, the issues are more pronounced, and our contractor offered to use more silicone.
Reading various forums on the internet suggest the issue is related to using pex and not copper for the tub filler. In previous home renovations, copper had been used and the unique position of the tub spout was never an issue. Would you please offer your opinions and solutions to remedy our issues. Thanks in advance.

he should have run copper to the shower head and tub spout then only the hot and cold feed in pex? Do you have pictures?. Is it a slip on tub spout? Also if there is not enough pressure to the spout there is not enough pressure to hold the diverting mechanism up in it.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. In answer to your questions (with my limited understanding):
The wall in now enclosed, so I am not able to send photos. The Moen spout has a small set screw underneath.

The tub spout is loose because they probably did a poor job of securing it in the wall.
What was sticking out of the wall for the tub filler before they tiled it.
Copper or pex?

If they just stapled the pex to wall, :(
should be a back ear 90 screwed to solid wood or a hyset 90 secured to a hyco strap. same with the shower head fitting

When tub is filling, and the shower is leaking, the water temperature of the tub filler is significantly warmer than the temperature of the leaking shower head. Does this relate to the issue?

Last edited:
Anytime the water is cutoff, you may end up with debris that gets pushed through. I would turn of water, and have someone crack the main open.

Latest posts

Back