Running Toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dorkboy

Reaction score
I have a a ten year old Kohler toilet. Approx every 15 minutes the toilet would run for about five seconds.

I bought a kit that came with replacement parts at Home Depot. I have replaced everything (the seals, washers, flapper, valve, etc.) with no problems.

The toilet still runs - but not as often - maybe once every two or three hours.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Run your finger under the flapper, where the porcelain hits the flapper. Many times you will get a buildup of calcium and gunk which prevents a good seal. Also, is your float adjusted so the water line is below the overflow tube?

Did you use the clip for the refill tube or did you push it down into the overflow? The clip must be used or the water in the tank will siphon into bowl causing the fill valve to come on.

is the fill valve adjusted correctly as far as shut off height?

Approximately 48 hours ago, I added some slack to the chain per havasu's suggestion. It is getting better, but the toilet still runs maybe 5 times a day. Here is an updated photo. Is this enough slack in the chain?

SHEPLMBR - how can I tell if the fill valve is adjusted correctly?

IMAG0097.jpg

When the water is in the tank, is should be about 1/4" below the overflow tube in the center, so the float needs to be adjusted accordingly. Lastly, how far is that black, flexible tubing sitting in the overflow tube? If it is just shoved in there, the water can and will siphon from the tank.

Run your finger under the flapper, where the porcelain hits the flapper. Many times you will get a buildup of calcium and gunk which prevents a good seal. Also, is your float adjusted so the water line is below the overflow tube?

This^. A couple of times there has been crud in the tank where the flapper seats. A little scrubbing with one of those green abrasive kitchen pads was the cure. Also, I've had cheap flappers be a problem from day 1. I've had good luck with the Corky flappers.
FWIW
YMMV

Latest posts

Back