What is this sound, my softener?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every 20 to 30 minutes... what???
If you mean the softener backwashes every 20 to 30 minutes, that would be extreme, but the size of the softener tank in those water boss's is so small that they do backwash more than once a day.

Yeah it's about that. I have a plumber coming out Monday and he said it sounds like something is stuck.

Every 20 to 30 minutes... what???
If you mean the softener backwashes every 20 to 30 minutes, that would be extreme, but the size of the softener tank in those water boss's is so small that they do backwash more than once a day.
Is it normal for that to happen, it just started out of the blue doing that last Thursday and I don't see it loosing water due to any leaks in the pipes? If there is a leak somewhere I can't find it.

Check the drain line. When it backwashes, water will come out of the drain line to waste. If it's doing that; it's either backwashing or it's stuck in backwash. If stuck, it will keep on draining too.

I don't know what the Water Bosses of today are like, but when the big box stores first started carrying them, they were a joke. The mineral tank was so small that they would have to backwash several times a day. When backwashing, you will get hard water not soft.

Check the drain line. When it backwashes, water will come out of the drain line to waste. If it's doing that; it's either backwashing or it's stuck in backwash. If stuck, it will keep on draining too.

I don't know what the Water Bosses of today are like, but when the big box stores first started carrying them, they were a joke. The mineral tank was so small that they would have to backwash several times a day. When backwashing, you will get hard water not soft.
Is there anything I can do or should I just wait for the plumber to come out?

You can check the drain line.
Is the Plumber who put it in for you? I can't imagine anyone in the trades installing one of those for his customer when he has access to much better units.

You can check the drain line.
Is the Plumber who put it in for you? I can't imagine anyone in the trades installing one of those for his customer when he has access to much better units.

It was in the house when we bought it. We havent been here a year yet. No idea how old it is or when installed, but the manual was in the drawer. What am I looking for in the drain line?

Usually a 5/8" poly tube running from the control head (the head in your picture) to drain somewhere.

When it makes that sound the watermizer icon spins maybe a quarter turn. Don't know if that means anything

You would have to read the book on it to know. I have never installed or serviced one of those.

You would have to read the book on it to know. I have never installed or serviced one of those.

It says if it is spinning that there is a leak in the plumbing but I haven't been able to find anything and it's also been over a week of doing it. You can hear a mouse fart in our house because the walls are pretty thin. Also it's not loosing any water on the display.

Check you toilets. Just a guess. drop a dye tablet in the tank or some food coloring. if the food color shows in the bowl before you flush it then the flapper is leaking and the tank refills. that can happen like clock work.

Check you toilets. Just a guess. drop a dye tablet in the tank or some food coloring. if the food color shows in the bowl before you flush it then the flapper is leaking and the tank refills. that can happen like clock work.

That was the first thing I did actually and came up blank. Could it bypass the bowel and go into the sewer drain?

Last edited:
You know it could be the unit itself leaking by one of it's valves. That's why I suggest you check the drain pipe.

I think one of them may be a brine tank overflow. The one coming from the actual head of the unit should be loose in that pipe. Try pulling it out to see the end of it.

The plumber said that the water meter reversing and then going back to its original starting spot. So he's calling the borough to see if they have any history of this happening

Latest posts

Back