Symmons Temptrol Leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIMMIEM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Symmons Temptrol with tub/shower diverter seems to be leaking between the Escutcheon plate and the tile wall. This happens when the shower is being used. It isn't from splashing because the hand held hose is being used by my wife who has to sit in a shower chair due to having had a stroke. I stand outside the tub and help hold the hose to make sure water isn't sprayed onto the wall. The water seems to run down and land on the tub spout. Symmons web site has some leak info and lists the spindle o-ring as a possibility.

Last edited:
I knew you must have been asking questions about a Symmons valve in your other post about stem grease, although you did not confirm it when I had asked.

Where is the leak showing?
Try taking the cover plate off and turn diverter to position that you think it leaks in with the fixture on.
Is it coming from the diverter spindle?
Like I mentioned in the other thread, try doubling up on the spindle O-rings or finding an o-ring that is just a tad bigger.

diverter.png

Last edited:
I knew you must have been asking questions about a Symmons valve in your other post about stem grease, although you did not confirm it when I had asked.

Where is the leak showing?
Try taking the cover plate off and turn diverter to position that you think it leaks in with the fixture on.
Is it coming from the diverter spindle?
Like I mentioned in the other thread, try doubling up on the spindle O-rings or finding an o-ring that is just a tad bigger.

Sorry for the confusion. I started the leak question in this thread. Before receiving your response I contacted Symmons Customer Service and they offered to send out some fixit parts i.e. Diverter Spindle, Flow Control Spindle washers, O-rings, etc. I went to their web site and found directions for installing these parts. When I removed the Estucheon plate I saw that the primary culprit was the Diverter Spindle. Very quick and easy to replace. I also watched some youtube videos made by professional plumbers where they replaced the Diverter Spindle and Flow Control Spindle parts. Some of their techniques and grease usage differed so I figured I should ask about grease in this forum....I posted that question under General Help. The new Diverter Spindle is working fine. I figured that I should go ahead and replace the Flow Control Spindle washer and o-ring and replace the Packing nut washer and o-ring? Any secrets to working on the Packing nut parts?
FWIW, Symmons Customer Service has not always been so quick to send out parts....in the past I have been told to soak everything in White Vinegar and call back if that didn't solve my problem.

My experience is limited on the diverter spindles. I only came across 2 of those in my life time. Both of them, the customer procured all the parts from Symmons.

I had the same issue. o-ring would leak. I used some emory cloth and shined up the inside of the valve a little where the o-ring sits.
Then I added a 2nd o-ring to the groove adjacent to it, on the spindle.

With your research, you may know about that valve then I do.
I don't rebuild the flow control spindles. I replace both hot /cold seats, the spindle and the bonnet cap. I charge by the hour so it is a swifter and more reliable repair.

I don't like those in valve diverters. to bad you cant just remove it, plug it off and install a diverter tub spout

My experience is limited on the diverter spindles. I only came across 2 of those in my life time. Both of them, the customer procured all the parts from Symmons.

I had the same issue. o-ring would leak. I used some emory cloth and shined up the inside of the valve a little where the o-ring sits.
Then I added a 2nd o-ring to the groove adjacent to it, on the spindle.

With your research, you may know about that valve then I do.
I don't rebuild the flow control spindles. I replace both hot /cold seats, the spindle and the bonnet cap. I charge by the hour so it is a swifter and more reliable repair.

I don't like those in valve diverters. to bad you cant just remove it, plug it off and install a diverter tub spout

I helped my neighbor replace the Flow Control Spindle. Couldn't budge the hot and cold seats.....I was afraid to use too much pressure...they weren't part of the problem so just I left them alone. I watched a couple of plumbers on youtube try and get them out.....thought one guy was going to get a hernia. One even heated the valve and seats with a torch.....it worked. I guess experience is the key. I can understand why you don't like the diverters......the water can just drip inside the wall......I had another post here with a long paint bubble on the wall outside the shower/tub.....diverter seems to be the culprit......took me many months to figure out.
Thank You again for your help.

Let us know if you got it resolved and what you did.
Even if it was something other than what I suggested.

Let us know if you got it resolved and what you did.
Even if it was something other than what I suggested.

The Diverter Spindle was leaking. Symmons Customer Service sent me a new Diverter Spindle so I did not have to replace the o-ring on the old one. I removed the Diverter Spindle and installed the new one and the leak stopped.
Your diagnosis was correct!!!! Thank You, again.

Mr_David,
As I've just found out....because the Diverter Spindle leak point o-ring is inside the wall plane it could leak for a loooong time and do a lot of damage before the leak is discovered. I found it by accident/sheer luck. What were the designers thinking? I can understand why you don't like them.
P.S. I just removed the trim to take a look-see and it's bone dry. I guess I'll have to do a periodic wellness exam from now on.

Even the new spindle my customer procured from Symmons leaked. so I doubled up the O-rings.

For others viewing this thread I added a picture of what we are talking about.

The spindle is held in the valve body with a small cap/plug with a hole in center for the handle. The handle is attached to the coverplate and is removed with the cover.

When the diverter leaks past the o-ring, you won't see the leakage until it starts causing damage

Symmons Temptrol.jpg

Back