model pipeline setup for leak simulation tests

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipeline

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I am a senior at The University of Houston working on my senior capstone project. I decided to focus on pipeline leak detection techniques, and want to construct a model pipeline using pvc pipes. I want the length to be atleast 60 feet long, with 5 leak simulation points. I would like some expert input on a material list. I believe I need 2 pressure gauges, to go at the beginning and end of the pipeline, along with a pressure regulator, and pressure release valve. For the 5 simulated leak valves I just need manual release valves. However, I do need to control the amount of air leaking from the pipe. Can anybody lend advice on how they would go about setting this up?

Thanks

what size pipe ? what psi are you going to test with ?

high psi would be a different connection than low psi

i suggest, 6- 10' long sections of ? size pipe

joined using tees with a 1/2'' ips thread. then..use a http://petesplug.com/

see, link, instructions for use petes plugs

on the ends, coupling each end with a bushing reduced to 3/4. male thread

100.jpg

i would use a compressor with pressure regulator and release built into it
instead of wasting money on redundant

Attachments

• flood.jpg
    flood.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
What phish said. Air would not be good under pressure. Water would be best. You can't compress it so it doesn't have the explosive properties air under pressure has.

You could test pvc with hairspray and a lighter... just be sure you have the potato ready. It's the only way to test the pressure.

Thanks for the advice guys, the pressure proposed is 20 psi and 40 psi. We planned on having a safety release valve set to open at 50 psi. The pvc dimensions are 0.75" ID and a wall thickness of 0.125". The pic below is a schematic I found that I wanted to follow, adjusting the scale to fit on an 8x4' sheet of plywood so that it is easily transported. The length doesn't have to be at least 60'. I think anything over 45' will be ok.

Screen Shot 2016-08-13 at 11.27.19 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me if this is safe for the proposed psi? Frodo, I already have an air compressor that doesn't have a regulator or safety release valve, I think it would be cheaper to by the valve and regulator separate and attach to the pipeline. I hope to have the model built in a week or so.

I get paranoid with air in plastic pipes, likely it will be fine but 40 psi can still do some damage if the pipe were to burst for any reason. Water on the other hand will make a mess for you simulating leaks. If you do go the water route you can buy a cheap auto fuel pump to pump it from a small bucket and make pressure.

How are you going to simulate the leaks or what kind of leaks?

Right now it looks like we will pressure up the pipe to the desired pressure, say 20 psi. Then open a valve to a desired flow rate to simulate a leak. I am not sure if they make a valve that can monitor/regulate flow rate.

Frodo, I like the schematic. It looks like the Petes plug will be used as the simulative leak valves correct?

Last edited:
Awesome frodo. I'm going to sit down and compile everything needed to build this model and post it here first to make sure I'm not leaving anything out. Should be later tonight after I get off work. Again thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back